Ericson Designs with Aft Cabin and Head?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
tool stretching

Lew,
Per my last post, Martin has given you the scoop on the 39/39B.

I can tell you about the 30-2's evolution. The original outboard rudder, masthead rigged 30-2 (a really good boat BTW) had run its' course and that size was due for an update consistent with the desires of the market at that time. These things included wheel steering, diesel engine, fractional rig, and "modern engineering".

The TAFG grid structure was first developed for the 30, and basically the tooling as kept-the biggest changes being the transom was narrowed a bt, the rudder became part of the boat, and instead of the old style wodden bulkheads, the new TAFG was laid into the hull for load bearing. And the 30+ was born-many new features, but the hull and most of the deck were from the older 30-2 (Although a new tool was built in very short order-the shape was basically unchanged).

Next came the requirement for a smaller boat that would keep the same popular features as the 30+. The hull was chopped 2 feet forward of the stern, and a wide back end was fitted-along with MINOR changes on the deck layout, and blam! The 28+ emerged-which later became the 28, and I don't actually know what the differences are between the original 28+ and the later 28's.

This happened during my time at Ericson-as to the best of my recolleciton is how this was done-eseentially the same tool was used for all 3 models..
Class? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller!!!!

Cheers,

S

boatboy

Inactive Member
Lew,

Instead of selling the boat, you could try renting your house out and live on the boat. Works for me. :) Of course that may not go over so well with the family.

escapade

Inactive Member
don't shoot, PLEASE!

At the risk of inciting a riot I would like to add that I like my '88 E34. :)
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

Roger

Member II
Ericson 28

The last E-28 model, which came out in '85, was an entirely new design and utilized all new tooling (including the hull). It was generally viewed as an improvement over the 28+, which was indeed a chopped off 30+.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Rog!

Thanks for that update..BOY are they similar, but a careful review of the specs shows some very small differences. New boat is 6" shorter LOA, several inches shorter LWL, 6" narrower on deck, with slightly less sail, same disp. but 200lbs. more ballast.

Hard to believe a whole new plug/mold was made, but could be.

Thanks again!

Steve Swann

Member III
Lew & Others,

Hey, take a view from the other side, guys: I am sitting here with a 1977 Ericson 25 c/b sitting on a trailer. My wife gives me a drooling towel to clean up after myself everytime I get invited aboard someone else's Ericson. ALL you guys have nice boats from the cockpit cushion I'm sitting on!

On a side note, it is really nice to read an open discussion like this without somebody flipping out (ref: Latt's & Att's for example) and becoming indignant and offended.

Steve
E25 Seahorse
Boise Idaho

Steve Swann

Member III
Thanks, Lew. You are right about round rubber under the keel; we are heading to San Carlos, Mexico to launch "Seahorse," sail across, and spend a week in the Conception Bay area in April with Jeff & Lorraine Marble and their E25, "Amigo."

For the past 4 years, we have flown our Cessna down there and I always have dreamed about gunkholing around this area. Soooo, this spring we are going to make the sojourn with the baby Ericson. I've posted questions on Baja web sites and everyone has reinforced my decision that an E25 is certainly capable of making this trip with the right gear and decision-making.

I'm glad to hear of your fond memories with a trailerable. A trailerable really helps us "Get outta Dodge" in a hurry. We are 500 miles from the ocean, so a 39 would be a different kind of committment for us. As someone once said, "I'm goin' south 'til the butter melts!" That'd be us...