• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

EY.c Future: Is EY.c a 'useful' site? How could we improve it?

Is EY.c a 'useful' site? Have you found it 'useful'?

• (2) Is not useful; I really cannot find anything of use on this site.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Al Emondi

Member II
Potential Improvements

I am new to the site, and there are vey likely parts of the site that I haven't explored. However, many people base thier opinions off of first impressions, so here are some of my observations....

It would be nice to see a more elaborate projects page. With the digital camera revolution, I would expect that we could come up with some pretty decent projects that people have been through. Pictures speak a 1000 words.

Also, as another member points out, it would be nice to sort projects, posts, etc based on boat model if needed. The one thing that I noticed from using hte site, is that it does take a while to get or find the information I am looking for. For example, last night I was looking for any posts that may help me correct my sloppy rudder...there is a "clunk" at times when I change course, and the survey pointed out the need for new bearings. I found postings, but it was hard to find those that applied to my model. Not knowing other Ericson models, it was hard to tell what would apply to me and what wouldn't.

However Sean, the site is great and the resource is valuable. Improvements can be made in anything, so these are just some comments from a "Newbee"

Hope this helps,

Al

Mike Thomas

Member II
EY.c Future: Is EY.c a 'useful' site? How could we improve it?

Sean,
I think the e-mail idea is the best one yet. I don't always have time to surf but I always seem to have time to read e-mails about boat stuff. Priorities huh?

As always thanks for all the hard work and if you speak to Gene K thank him also.

Mike T, NY

JORGE

Member III
Some Re-Orging- Hey, let's give those guys some credit!

May 5, 2005
I have been seeing alot of boats being totally refurbed here, I am doing the same; but unless I do a search on a specific topic these detailed and long ongoing projects go almost unknown. So I would like to suggest that those in-depth projects and stories be moved to the "Owners and Projects" section, because I believe that's a great starting point.

Strats43

Member I
Bravo!!!!

Of all the sites Ive researched this site is by far the Best!! As I ve been trying to revive the CEOA this site has been incredible. Also for a novice sailor and My first project boat it has been invaluable. Keep up the great work!!

Strats

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Projects on the Info Exchange

JORGE said:
May 5, 2005
I have been seeing alot of boats being totally refurbed here, I am doing the same; but unless I do a search on a specific topic these detailed and long ongoing projects go almost unknown. So I would like to suggest that those in-depth projects and stories be moved to the "Owners and Projects" section, because I believe that's a great starting point.

The issue there is the Information Exchange is a standalone database application - whereas the project section is actually a page with images, etc - they're two different types of docs.

We have a couple of projects on the files, and I'll be adding them as soon as finals roll by (first week of June). If there are contributors to the Information Exchange who have projects who wish them listed in the the Owners/Projects section, please send me a note.

Thanks,
//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Email Notification

Mike Thomas said:
Sean,
I think the e-mail idea is the best one yet. I don't always have time to surf but I always seem to have time to read e-mails about boat stuff. Priorities huh?

As always thanks for all the hard work and if you speak to Gene K thank him also.

Mike T, NY

You can set email notification in the User Control Panel ('UserCP' button, visible at the left side of the top bar when you're logged in) so that you get emails whenever there is a new posting. Every time you post a message you also have the opportunity to choose 'Instant Email Notification' whenever that thread is added to, etc.

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Projects, Con't

Strats43 said:
Of all the sites Ive researched this site is by far the Best!! As I ve been trying to revive the CEOA this site has been incredible. Also for a novice sailor and My first project boat it has been invaluable. Keep up the great work!!

Strats

Yes, well - I hope you've been taking pictures, and will submit them as a project. The amount of damage sustained your boat was considerable - and I think would make an interesting story...

WingLeader1200

Sean,
I must say that, all in all, you have done a great job with this site. I know I am not alone in that thought. It certainly provides much needed support for Ericson specific info particularly when you first purchase your boat and have a thousand questions. To offer constructive critisim I have been disapointed in the projects pages. Over the past 4 yrs I have sent in rather detailed drawings,directions and pictures of 3 myself.(folding salon table w/ shelving, Yanmar install from outboard, and rebuilding/increasing insulation to the ice box on a E-27. None of these were ever posted to the projects and all of which I have seen many many inquiries (sp). One last thing and it may just be me, but I have yet to fiqure out how to update my email address in my profile after I change servers. Each time I have had to log in as a new member because the Ericson site would not recognize me. Keep up the great work, you are doing a great service. Thanks again, Gary

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Response...

On the project pages...

WingLeader1200 said:
... I have been disapointed in the projects pages. Over the past 4 yrs I have sent in rather detailed drawings,directions and pictures of 3 myself.(folding salon table w/ shelving, Yanmar install from outboard, and rebuilding/increasing insulation to the ice box on a E-27. None of these were ever posted to the projects and all of which I have seen many many inquiries (sp).

Hi Gary - Yeah, I know. Since returning to school, I've been totally hammered with projects, and have not been able to put the pages together and upload them. The other thing is that we moved (physically moved to a new house) after you sent your files, and I moved the files off this box to a new computer - and they (and some others) somehow disappeared.

So - if you still have the files, and will upload them again, I will see to it that your page is completed ASAP - I promise! :rolleyes:

WingLeader1200 said:
One last thing and it may just be me, but I have yet to fiqure out how to update my email address in my profile after I change servers. Each time I have had to log in as a new member because the Ericson site would not recognize me. Keep up the great work, you are doing a great service. Thanks again, Gary

That's an easy one. When you're logged in, there is a small box in the upper left hand corner of the Information Exchange, marked 'User CP' - which stands for 'User Control Panel'. Go in there, and you can change your settings. If you change your email address before changing your settings, all you need to do is email me, and I'll do it for you (I've this lots of times for many people).

Anyhow - upload your files again to:

ftp://ftp.ericsonyachts.org/incoming/

and I'll take care of it - sorry for the delay.

//sse

bigtyme805

Member III
It is a terriffic site and the reason it is so good is due to all of you. What makes a good association are the members who contribute. And we do lots of contributing....

success of forum

I am new and obviously confused...what exactly would the dues be for? We are already paying for internet access??? Would we be paying for the time of the moderator? website? HELP?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Web Hosting Fees

Web Sites on the World Wide Web (a.k.a. www.) cost money to host. To have a web site you have to pay for space on the web called a domain. I hope that's a close enough explanation. Ericson Yachts.com lost their sponsor (Host) Pacific Sea Craft some time ago. Since then the site has been maintained and hosting paid for mainly by it's creator Sean Engle and a few of us individuals that have sent Sean some money to pay for the hosting.

Too keep this site going someone has to pay. Individuals or a sponsored corporation.

Hope that helps clarify things. :egrin:

website financial support--thank you for clarification....

I understand. Could we "woo" another corporation and perhaps get sponsorship? Perhaps tie in with other forums....? Food for thought.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Deborah Klaus said:
I understand. Could we "woo" another corporation and perhaps get sponsorship? Perhaps tie in with other forums....? Food for thought.

A Steering Committee has been formed and is discussing this issue right now. We are looking at covering costs (which are pretty minimal at this point) and continuing to build a body of knowledge for Ericson owners.

Included in these plans (some place) is also the discussion of the formation of the Ericson Yachts Owners Association - which would eventually oversee the website. Right now we're hammering out the main issues for the website itself.

As for moderators - they are simply people who have agreed to be emailed by the network when someone posts a thread to their assigned forum. The moderator simply 'keeps an eye' on the forum and can step in when appropriate, etc.

Oh, and on your question - no, the web is not free. Just like the belief that owning a sailboat must be cheap because they use the wind, owning and maintaining a site has costs: hosting, URL registration, software upgrades, development, security and (the biggest) time. :rolleyes:

However - as I said, the cost of this site is relatively cheap - and it's needed, etc. :egrin:

//sse

therapidone

Member III
It would be a shame to lose this resource

I know next to nothing about taking care of a sailboat and only a little bit more about sailing one! While I don't visit this site every day, I do check it out every so often & have found many of the discussions to be enlightening as well as engendering the occasional smile :D !

Regards,

Ed

Tom Russ

As a new sailor and Ericson owner (E27 #428) I have learned a lot about my boat, boating, and sailors from the website. It is a valuable resource and worth supporting. I guess I have to send that check......

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Hi -

Thanks for the nice comments - they're appreciated.

Please save your donations for later in the year when we do our fund drive. Everything is set for this year...so get back down to your boat and finish that (latest) project!

//sse

Jerry

Inactive Member
Being a new owner

I find the site useful. Coming from a Hunters, Starwinds etc., I feel I know my way around sailboats but each model has it's own "nature". It's good to find others who have broken trail and make life easier.