Fender Tender vs. Fixed Bumpers

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When I lived with pilings fender boards were common, often beautifully varnished with names cut in. They could be hung as needed to fend off pilings and tide rise.

Now I see WM makes it easy to build one.

fender boards.JPG

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
When I lived with pilings fender boards were common, often beautifully varnished with names cut in. They could be hung as needed to fend off pilings and tide rise.

Now I see WM makes it easy to build one.

View attachment 46393
I saw those and considered them. They look prettier but what I came up with is easier on/off, won't shred, stows easier, and iirc the 25 ft roll of used fire hose cost me something like $20.

jtsai

Member III
Ask your local fire station for retired fire hose. I got a bundle few years ago and have benefited many sailors

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Update to fixed fenders:

The HugR fixed fenders are well made and attractive, but they have a voice. A vinyl "scrunch" when the boat compresses them (there's only 8" clearance on either side in my slip). I found the periodic sound distracting, so I returned to also using hanging fenders--with new high-class covers. The hanging fenders absorb most of the normal movement, keeping the vinyl quiet. Since I leave hanging fenders on the dock when departing, the fixed fenders are still available when returning to the slip.

I was interested to be reminded (posts above) of the pressure on lifelines from hanging fenders there, rather than simply cleating the fender off. But the forces in my environment--a protected slip--aren't great, and I concluded there is no issue for me. Recent guests have raved about the "simplicity" of such attachment, meaning that they don't have to puzzle over how to cleat a line, or judge fender height above water. And I don't suddenly become Capt. Bligh.

hanging and fixed fender.JPG

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The HugR fixed fenders are well made and attractive, but they have a voice. A vinyl "scrunch" when the boat compresses them (there's only 8" clearance on either side in my slip).
I don't know if you are referring to the rubbing/skidding sound of the vinyl fender but I have found squirting some dish detergent onto the fender where it meets the hull can quiet things down. Also squeaking dock lines can be quieted down with dish detergent. I used to use dry lube but it didn't seem to be as effective and is more expensive :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Or "pad" the fixed fender with an inexpensive terrycloth towel as we have done. Yeah, they can squeak otherwise...

windblown

Member III
I may have been misinformed, but many years ago I read or had someone tell me that I shouldn't hang fenders from the lifelines. I don't recall what the reasoning was, but it stuck with me. Ever since then I have temporarily hung the fenders from the lifelines when arriving back at dock because its easy to get them into position that way, but then re-tied them to stanchions or the toe rail cleat or the rail itself where it crosses the scupper opening when leaving the boat. I side tie the boat and the bumpers are nearly constantly under pressure. But why not use the lifelines? Any drawbacks? It would be so much easier.

Grant's idea is a great one too. I once found a fender line draped across the front of the PSS shaft seal. A few inches further forward and it could have been caught up in the coupler and turned into a bad situation. I now tie them all off in the lazarette.
My fenders go in the anchor locker.

acubria

Member II
Our club is always figuring out stuff on a shoestring and this is what you can do with some old NYFD hose. One of our members is a retired fireman, so that makes things a bit easier. The hoses are made of a very durable material that will not surprisingly last longer than the old dock ...:p:p. I use fenders regardless when I come near this dock.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 4.48.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 4.48.44 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 4.54.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 4.54.45 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 4.55.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 4.55.33 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 5