garhauer cars, blocks, tracks and vangs

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Geoff are you telling me that you found genoa cars from Garhauer that have bearings in them and fit our OEM 1.25" T track? Please tell me more about these cars. I would love adjustable leads on my 38 but not at the expense of new track install. I have seen the towable cars that have nylon sliders in them but I don't think it would be a viable method for adjustment under serious load.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Yes, this is what I purchased:

E-Z Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System
E-Z G-2UB

1-1/4" t-track standard duty. Before ordering we need thickness of top t section. Optional swivel cam on slide available for $96.80 each set

$302.50 Add to Cart

The total was $400 for two sets of adjustable ball bearing cars.

Here's a photo of the setup on a Catalina 47 for next largest size. The G-2UB is essentially the same. Garhauer said the G-3UB would be too big for my boat:

http://www.catalina470.org/html/body_adj__lead_cars.html

I could not get them on my track without first removing the after u-bolt on each aft shroud (good excuse to rebed them anyway) but they should slide onto the 35 and 38 inboard tracks just fine. The ball bearings are not captive so you have to line up the track that comes with the cars with the exist track or the bearings will fall out.

Last edited:

tdtrimmer

Member II
Ted,
I purchased geona cars with bearings from Garhauer several years ago and they work great. I use them on the outside track on my 1981 E38. It is important to tell Garhauer the thickness of the T (top) so the cars can be manufactured appropriately. Our Ericsons have a thicker T than the standard T track.
Tom
S/V Mistress
1981 E38

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I would want them for the inside track myself. So the cars ride on bearings on the track? How hard is it to move the car fwd when its blowing 15-20 kts? Can you do it with the 3:1 they show in that picture? I am thinking probably not without a lot of muscle or a winch?

tdtrimmer

Member II
The car slides very easily on the outer track. My only concern would be the curvature of the iner track. I'd check with Garhauer to be sure the car will work on that radius. The car comes on a piece of track which you line up with the boat track and then slide the car on. Mine are 5:1 ratio on the E38 which is plenty of advantage to sheet in.
Tom

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Tom. I think my outer tracks have more curvature than the inners but I could be mistaken. So purchase is actually 5:1 and you can move that car fwd when its loaded pretty well? Thats great to hear. Looks like I have something else to buy for the boat great. :boohoo: