LED dome lights

Sven

Seglare
This non-sailing weekend we installed some DR LED MARS LED (red-white) dome cabin lights at $71.99 ea. from Defender.

We replaced the existing 5" dome lights and other than the cost we're quite impressed. The 3 watt LED puts out a lot of light and the fixture is barely noticeably warmed by the circuitry. The fixtures are plastic but could easily pass for metal unless you touch them. They fit the existing screw holes so we didn't need to make any changes. The only design flaw is that the back side of the fixtures is flat, leaving no room for connectors or lumpy wires.

With no generator or solar panels or wind generator the new fixtures will be a nice addition. Up until now we've been positively miserly with lighting on board, using the oil lamp as the primary source. We also have a couple of 3 watt LED reading lights in the v-berth.

Next we'll replace the 16 watt fluorescent light fixtures with 1-2 white DR LED dome lights which draw 3 or 6 watts depending on the brightness selection.

Spreader and nav light replacements come after that.

-Sven

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I just replaced all the the dome fixtures in my main cabin with ABI 6 1/4" brass and mahogony domes and Scad Senibulb LED lights. Very nice looking solid fixture with excellent low draw warm light output.

Vincent

Member II
I also replaced cabin lighting with the same led lighting. My wife likes to knit, cross stitch and other small needle work. The LED's weren't bright enough, so I installed a lunasea ccfl 12Vdc @ 295 ma (4 Watts) www.lunasealighting.com and that made here happy.:) It's bright also you can dim it and when you turn it off it remembers the last setting. low current draw. I'm going to install another one over the galley. I'll also be replacing running lights with LED's.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the quality matches the price, they appear to be competing against these folks:
http://alpenglowlights.com/

Perhaps it's time to replace the twin-tube "Thin Lite" fixture that I installed over our galley in the 90's to replace a factory incandescent light fixture.

Thanks so much for the lead.

Best,
LB

Last edited:

WBurgner

Member III
CFL and LED lighting

I have been very happy with the CFL lighting by Alpengow that Loren has mentioned. Look great, work great.

Has anyone converted a standard Aqua Signal Series 40 anchor light to a 'dusk to dawn' unit? I plan to replace the bulbs in the anchor light/tricolor combo with LEDs soon and would like to have the anchor light automated for when I am forgetful (notice not if) or away from the boat.

dwigle

Member III
Supplement or replace.

I tried replacing the existing lamps with led units, but didn't like the diffusion, or lack of from the LED units I bought. I ended up reinstalling the original lamps in their original locations under the deck at the very edges of the cabin and installing the LEDs on the higher area of the cabin roof. Two over the dinette, one over the settee, and one over the galley. Much more light with lower draw at anchor, and nice soft lighting when friends visit in the slip.

The anchor light was the best investment though, I was always amazed at how many amps the incandescent would draw overnight.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8
Pt. Richmond, CA

Emerald

I just replaced all the the dome fixtures in my main cabin with ABI 6 1/4" brass and mahogony domes and Scad Senibulb LED lights. Very nice looking solid fixture with excellent low draw warm light output.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but ABI is kaput. Filed for bankruptcy earlier this year. If you want anything from them, it's left to the stock in your local store. I have the same lights you do, and a vairety of other bronze items that were made by ABI. Not sure of an economical vendor that was at the same quality level.

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=39264557

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks David, I did know this. I still bought the fixtures as they are the best fit and best looking that will accept the Sensibub LEDs. I got some of the last ones they had at Defender.

Emerald

I just bought some bronze pad-eyes, T-hinges, and hatch supports - think we're on the same wave-length here, or would that be wave period on a sailing site :egrin:

chaco

Member III
Demassiado

Where are my Pro $5 LED Replacement Bulbs for my PERFECTLY GOOD Cabin Domelights? I not going to replace the fixtures...I am not going to PAY
$10...$20....$30....$40 for a common Bayonet Replacement Bulb :cool:
Do we need to have an LED Light Revolution or Something ?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Where are my Pro $5 LED Replacement Bulbs for my PERFECTLY GOOD Cabin Domelights? I not going to replace the fixtures...I am not going to PAY
$10...$20....$30....$40 for a common Bayonet Replacement Bulb :cool:
Do we need to have an LED Light Revolution or Something ?

My existing fixtures were festoon and Sensibulb does not fit.

$5 LEDs? You get what you pay for. Radio interference and burned up boat included.