• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking at Ericson 32-2 and would like advice on common issues

kapnkd

kapnkd
Our ‘73 has wood covers over the main chain plates in the salon area. It’s difficult to see if water intrusion and rot are present in the bulkheads. Not sure about later models but a simple good look at the backsides in the head and hanging locker may help you.

(Same is true for the forward lowers when looking for serious forward bulkhead water damage.)

…From reading the other posts, I think you’ve found as good an Ericson 32 as possible - considering her age - AND an honest seller! …HARD TO BEAT!!

Regardless of what you decide, ANY boat of this vintage is going to require attention and work. (Same with a brand new one as well.) Best part…This site is a wealth of knowledge and expertise coupled with the “Been There Done It” experience to get you through it all. You’ll find all of us anxious to respond and help you while we commiserate our own painful struggles!

GOOD LICK!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
;-)) As it was for me over these many years now, no doubt it’ll be the same for you!

This Ericson site is an invaluable tool, resource and inspiration whenever you need or are stumped with questions.

…Just remember to upload lots of photos with your various projects/upgrades! We all LOVE it!!!

Traveler7

Member II
Our ‘73 has wood covers over the main chain plates in the salon area. It’s difficult to see if water intrusion and rot are present in the bulkheads. Not sure about later models but a simple good look at the backsides in the head and hanging locker may help you.

(Same is true for the forward lowers when looking for serious forward bulkhead water damage.)

…From reading the other posts, I think you’ve found as good an Ericson 32 as possible - considering her age - AND an honest seller! …HARD TO BEAT!!

Regardless of what you decide, ANY boat of this vintage is going to require attention and work. (Same with a brand new one as well.) Best part…This site is a wealth of knowledge and expertise coupled with the “Been There Done It” experience to get you through it all. You’ll find all of us anxious to respond and help you while we commiserate our own painful struggles!

GOOD LICK!!
Thanks, if she is the right boat for me I may need a propane stove expert, cause I would like to get it working again! I have a camper van with a three burner stove and oven that is a heater as well, so I may want to exchange it in and would need a propane gut to help. I will be looking for a Portland community to share advice and work- I am certainly willing to volunteer time to help others! You learn new skills and save money!

Traveler7

Member II
Keep the icepick probing discreet while aboard....
I don't intend damage, just use it inside on the compression step, in the anchor locker or around bulkheads if they look soft and only with the owners permission; also will use the handle to sound the deck. I think that's fair, not really different than those hammers I see surveyors use.

Traveler7

Member II
;-)) As it was for me over these many years now, no doubt it’ll be the same for you!

This Ericson site is an invaluable tool, resource and inspiration whenever you need or are stumped with questions.

…Just remember to upload lots of photos with your various projects/upgrades! We all LOVE it!!!
Hi Kapn.

What model propane stove does you E 32 have? I want to look for repair advice and an owners manual for the one I'm looking, but not sure of the model yet....

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi Kapn.

What model propane stove does you E 32 have? I want to look for repair advice and an owners manual for the one I'm looking, but not sure of the model yet....
Alas, we did away with my very old alcohol stove years ago. Our cruising/racing needs on Lake Erie were such that all cooking could be done dockside. ( My wife always feared the warming flames of the alcohol stove.) We went with modifications replacing the gimbaled stove for a microwave and creating more storage spaces as well.

I’ve got images of the installation and the added convenience of a wine/bottle rack plus trash bin as well with additional underneath storage too. Just need to find them and can post later.

Traveler7

Member II
Alas, we did away with my very old alcohol stove years ago. Our cruising/racing needs on Lake Erie were such that all cooking could be done dockside. ( My wife always feared the warming flames of the alcohol stove.) We went with modifications replacing the gimbaled stove for a microwave and creating more storage spaces as well.

I’ve got images of the installation and the added convenience of a wine/bottle rack plus trash bin as well with additional underneath storage too. Just need to find them and can post later.
Yes, if I cannot resurrect whatever is there now, I could either take the 3 burner propane stove/oven/heater out of my 1977 vintage Dodge camper van or go with an induction cooktop and microwave/ convection oven (I like to bake), but of course that would only be good on shore power :(

kapnkd

kapnkd
Yes, if I cannot resurrect whatever is there now, I could either take the 3 burner propane stove/oven/heater out of my 1977 vintage Dodge camper van or go with an induction cooktop and microwave/ convection oven (I like to bake), but of course that would only be good on shore power :(
Just make a good/practical list of your needs and then match them with the pros & cons of each option VS costs as well.

…We truly don’t miss our offshore cooking abilities, but then too - we’re now older and long distance offshore sailing is but more a wishful memory VS past safe abilities.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Yes, if I cannot resurrect whatever is there now, I could either take the 3 burner propane stove/oven/heater out of my 1977 vintage Dodge camper van...
Propane systems must be taken seriously on boats, as the gas is heavier than air, so cannot "drain out" as it might in a land based installation. Older stoves are unlikely to have necessary safety features, like shutting off gas if the flame goes out. If you choose to go with propane, you should do the necessary research, and plan to buy all new.

Traveler7

Member II
Hi to everyone giving me advice. I am buying the boat. Sailed her on the Columbia River today in 9-12 kts on a beam reach and also got to groove her into a starboard tack. Sails balanced so well we could lock the wheel and just let her go! Was fun. The boat will need work on everything from deck crazing and cracking to a chainplate for the port lower that needs replaced and rebedded and the 12 volt electrical side of the boat is in bad shape. This was not something the owner cared to fix or do anything with so I will need an E32-2 wiring diagram and have to start tracing and testing to see what is what. Lot's of boat work, but the engine is first rate and main sail is in great shape. The 135 Genoa needs a sacrificial sewed on it and I want to get a furling working jib to have an option. The owner doesn't run a spinnaker, but the boat has one that has a tear and there isn't a spinnaker halyard on the boat. She needs cleaning, fairing and paint on the deck and below. The alcohol stove doesn't work. The autopilot is broken and the wind, depth and speed is not coming up on the gauges that do turn on. So even so I am going to take the leap. The owner will also give my brother and I 4 hours instruction on the boat to see what he's done that makes her unique. So I will be here looking for advice and suggestions for contractors or someone who wants to lend a hand!

Thanks All!

Anzac

Member II
Congrats on your boat. Sounds like she sails well but will need some TLC. That will be a good bonding experience for you. Where will you keep her?

Last Saturday was beautiful on the Columbia, as I was checking out some boats myself. Spring is almost here and the PNW has the best summers in the US.

I was able to find lots of 34-2 stuff on this site under Resources. The should have an electrical schematic and other things you will need.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi to everyone giving me advice. I am buying the boat. Sailed her on the Columbia River today in 9-12 kts on a beam reach and also got to groove her into a starboard tack. Sails balanced so well we could lock the wheel and just let her go! Was fun. The boat will need work on everything from deck crazing and cracking to a chainplate for the port lower that needs replaced and rebedded and the 12 volt electrical side of the boat is in bad shape. This was not something the owner cared to fix or do anything with so I will need an E32-2 wiring diagram and have to start tracing and testing to see what is what. Lot's of boat work, but the engine is first rate and main sail is in great shape. The 135 Genoa needs a sacrificial sewed on it and I want to get a furling working jib to have an option. The owner doesn't run a spinnaker, but the boat has one that has a tear and there isn't a spinnaker halyard on the boat. She needs cleaning, fairing and paint on the deck and below. The alcohol stove doesn't work. The autopilot is broken and the wind, depth and speed is not coming up on the gauges that do turn on. So even so I am going to take the leap. The owner will also give my brother and I 4 hours instruction on the boat to see what he's done that makes her unique. So I will be here looking for advice and suggestions for contractors or someone who wants to lend a hand!

Thanks All!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Like from the Indiana Jones movie, “You have chosen well”. …Rough around the edges perhaps but overall the right choice.

I’ve got the original E32-2 manual and will post a copy of the wiring diagram later today for you.

During our refit of bulkhead replacements it became a complete rebuild of everything including electrical and electronics. Note that wiring on many early 70’s models is sandwiched between the deck and hard interior cabin top. Aft running wires are readily accessible in the aft lazaret in back of the fuse panel. (You just need to be a contortionist to reach them ;-)) )

We replaced all exposed wiring and simply tied/spliced back into the sandwiched wires for cabin lights and forward running lights. New wires needed for the mast were all routed just under interior seating areas then to the mast column support and up in the head through the deck and mast step plate. There should be previous posts with lots of photos on the EYO site but I will gladly resend them to you if needed.

Food for thought: We also upgraded, replaced and moved our electrical panel to the port side locating it in the small cabinet of the rear quarterberth. (It was always a catch all space with whatever one was looking for buried at the bottom.)

kapnkd

kapnkd
:)
Hi Kapn.

As I think was mentioned before, our sailing needs for cooking can be accomplished dockside anymore using dockside electric. Here's a link to how we utilized the space for more storage by replacing the stove with just a microwave. If you're planning on long cruises and anchorages, this may not be of use to you (???).

https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/thread...ol-stove-replaced-with-micro-wave-oven.14896/

kapnkd

kapnkd
Here's a list/link to various things done on our boat I've previously posted. Hopefully they may be of help to you. ...Also the EYO site actually has the complete owners manual for the E32-2 in PDF format. It should include the electrical schematics you'll want as well. (My manual is on our boat which is stored and still covered up for about another month.

Electrical Wiring Project:
https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/73-e32-mkii-complete-electrical-re-wiring.14889/

Old electrical panel removed from starboard side and replaced with Teak:
Starboard side panel 2.jpgStarboard side panel.jpg

New Blue Seas Panel on Port side:
Electrical Panel.jpg

Electrical Panel Finished.jpg

Not sure you'll need it but - Tying into existing port side wiring harness: (Port wiring crosses the main brace under the mast. Ours failed, when main brace cracked and cut encapsulated wiring harness - so I tapped into the wiring inside the port companionway bulkhead cabinet. ...see diagram)
https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/thread...-lights-on-the-port-side-of-an-e-32-ii.16204/

E32-2 Complete Owners Manual:
https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/resources/e32-2-complete-owners-manual.200/