Mast head pulley repair

Ray Hughes

Member I
Both the main and the headsail masthead pulleys on my E-29 are jammed. Can I lower the tabernacle mounted mast with a system of pulleys and lines? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks, Ray Hughes. (Capricious, 1971 E-29, Oceanside, CA)

rssailor

Lower the mast

You should be able to lower the mast no problem. Build an A-frame that is about four feet taller than half the heighth of the mast. Brace the A-frame and then use it to raise the mast off the deck and swing it down. Taking the sheeves out may be more difficult if they are frozen in there. You may find, that you will need to take the boat to a yard that has a good rigging shop. Good luck and post again if you need more advice. Ryan

rjuhl

Bascially the sheave's (4) are sandwiched between 3 plates, and are pinned through the mast head in a unit. the unit is machined fairly percisely and should slide out after removing the pins (2) quite easily. Once out, the plates fall apart, there just held by pressure and you can get at the sheave's. My guess is the assembly / sheave's are binding / not turning.

I recently worked on my E-29 Sheave's see the below link on Information Exchange.

http://www.ericsonyachts.com/infoexchange/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1399

or look at "1979 Ericson 29 Mast-head Sheve's" to see what I did to make them turn.