• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Winch E27

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Like many other boats, smaller and larger, yours appears to have a mast mounted winch for the main halyard. Is there a winch or cleat on the other side for the jib halyard? (or vise versa)

A wire to rope halyard seems to terminating at the winch in the photo. (?)

Loren

Steve
The "Specifications & Std Equip List" elswhere in this site sez that a jib halyard winch was standard equpment on this boat. They are usually mounted on the port side, with main halyards & winchs on the starboard side. My halyards are dimensioned so that the wire/rope joint is just short of the winch at full hoist - the ss wire does not reach the winch to keep it from filing away the softer winch metal. I think the wire on mine is 5/32" 7x19.

SteveS

Member II
Port side winch

So the winch on the port side of the mast must somehow be holding the Seafurl roller furling system?

The halyard is probably still attached to the top of the jib. The furler is installed around the headstay, then the sail is installed on the furler by raising it up a grooved track. When you're through sailing, you roll up the jib instead of lowering it. The halyard stays attached to the top of the sail.

BTW, my wife thinks this is the best invention since the boat itself.

Guys,
I have been looking at the photos of the E-27 port side winch. A winch on the port side is customarily for the jib halyard. I notice that the wire has apparently stretched and is now being loaded onto the winch. This is (a) bad for the wire and (b) bad for the winch barrel. Suggest that you get the wire shortened at the top end so that you have only rope on the winch. The other option, which I went to some 20 years ago, is a low-stretch jib halyard. Wire-to-rope splices are virtually a lost art and expensive. Low-stretch is, in my opinion, the best way to go. It is lighter than metal and easier to use.
Secondarily, though they didn't come standard, an E-27 can benefiit with a main halyard winch added. I have done this and never looked back.
Hope this helps.
Morgan Stinemetz

Last edited:

Hans Hellman

Is is there a problem with sailing my e27 without the Mast winch are there any for unforeseen problems with sailing my e27 without the Mast witch are there any problems for do I need to have

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
This is how I sailed home from haul-out last year--while replacing all my deck hardware. Headsail only, with no forward winches and just one horn cleat. As Christian said, it's hard to gel much tension on the halyard without a winch, but still well possible to sail. You have to plan ahead for where you're going to cleat things off in all situations--do this before you set sail.20190524_185347.jpg

wynkoop

Member III
I use the winch for my jib halyard. When I got the boat the jib halyard was wrapped around the mast mounted port side winch, therefore I figured it was the jib halyard winch.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I remember that on boats. The rope tail is supposed to go on the rope winch, but apparently the wire was often made too long. We had all-wire halyards at one time, with all-wire winches--which were closed, not open like the rope winches we're used to. Meat hooks abounded, naturally. Argggh.

A new rope halyard is easy to install when you get around to it.

wynkoop

Member III
Just installed a new all rope halyard on the main last week mainly because I lost the entire halyard overboard recently.....a story I may document at some point.

4 weeks ago I renewed the rope portion of the jib halyard, so since the wire is in good shape still I expect it will be a few years before I go all rope on the jib.