• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Monel fuel tank??

Howard Keiper

I found the original survey done on Sea Quest before we bought her back in 1977, and was surprised to see that the surveyor stated that the fuel tank was made of Monel. I've never heard that Ericsons used Monel for anything. There hasn't been any sign of rust or corrosion (yet) but I'm aware that I'm in twilight zone.
I am aware too, that I need to replace the fuel filler hose and expected to get at that in a week or so. Am I looking at a major Tankotomy??

howard keiper
Sea Quest, E-35 II
Berkeley

Glyn Judson

Fuel fill hose replacement.

Howard, Might I suggest that if your tank orientation is anythng like mine, you might only have to remove the hose clamp at the tank and loosen the hose from the flange. Then unfasten the hose clamp from the other end of the hose just below the deck fitting. Remove the mounting screws on that deck fitting from the side deck or where ever it's located and pull the entire hose up and out for replacement. Glyn

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Stainless steel and diesel

I just heard the other day about a potential problem with stainless steel and diesel. The issue is some kind of reaction between the sulfur in the diesel and the welds. Don't fret just yet. At the same time it was mentioned that monel was ok as long as the right kind of weld is used.

Can anyone authoritatively confirm or deny my claim ?

Glyn Judson

Neal, I'm told that the weldments react with the diesel if the tank is made from stainless. The have the potential of eventually developing pin hole leaks, etc. Howard, To know for sure what your tank is made of, contact Berry Sheet Metal the original makers of our tanks at 949.548.3613. That said, my diesel tank is alumnum while both my water tanks appear to be stainless. Glyn

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Aluminum...

The shop that did my SS fresh water tank will be doing a larger diesel tank for our boat in the future, and they plan to use 5000-series aluminum alloy.
They do not advise SS for diesel.
Loren