• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Rudder For Ericson 32-3

Ed Balun

Member I
After reading feedback regarding my saturated rudder I have decided to replace the thing. Does anyone have a source to purchase a new one? I have visions of the existing one falling off while sailing. As previously stated, rust stains 4 yrs ago when hauled led to surface repairs and drying in the yard for 3 weeks. My diver hasn't noticed any additional cracks or stains but I have no idea what is going on internally. I don't have the expertise to rebuild it myself and would prefer a new one. I would also like to tell you guys up north that we will be sailing two days after Thanksgiving in 10k winds with 78 degree temps...

Emerald

Foss Foam in California built many of the rudders for Ericson. They can probably rebuild your old rudder, or make a new one for you. Here's their website:

http://www.fossfoam.com/

It won't be 78 this weekend, but planning a sail this weekend on the Chespeake anyway :egrin:

windjunkee

Member III
I didn't buy a new rudder, but all the chatter here on the board says to try Foss Foam. I did, however, have my rudder modified. In shopping around for ideas, I thought about having a new rudder designed and built. THAT was WAY too expensive. In fact, the quote I got was for around $7000-$8000. :scared: Most of that was in the design though, using a NA to do the design, changing the rudder shaft and building the blade. Our rudder was not leaking and was not cracked. I just wanted a new design to help with off-wind control and additional upwind lift.
What I ended up doing was taking the rudder to a local builder (Dennis Choate, Dencho Marine, in Long Beach, CA). He added about 2 1/2 sq. feet of area to the rudder, making it deeper and more high-aspect-ratio. It took about a month and cost me $700.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Ditto on the Foss Foam recommendation. I have heard nothing but good stuff. As for the 78 degree 10kt comments you and Captain Ron are really making it hard on us up here.:boohoo:

David I'll keep my eye out for Emerald as I plan to sail sunday out of the South River for a day sail. No name on the boat just yet.

Bob Robertson

Member III
New Rudder

Someone from our marina recently had a new fiberglass rudder built around his old stainless rudder shaft by Foss Foam of Florida. I believe the cost was around $1,000 dollars. I will try to get the actual cost.

Foss Foam Products of Florida Inc.
7060 HWY 41 North Williston Florida 32696
(352) 529-1104 Phone (352) 529-1106 Fax
E-Mail - bobwalker10@aol.com

Bob Robertson

Member III
New Rudder

Someone from our marina recently had a new fiberglass rudder built around his old stainless rudder shaft by Foss Foam of Florida. I believe the cost was around $1,000 dollars. I will try to get the exact dollar amount.

Foss Foam Products of Florida Inc.
7060 HWY 41 North Williston Florida 32696
(352) 529-1104 Phone (352) 529-1106 Fax
E-Mail - bobwalker10@aol.com

Emerald

Hi Ted,

I think I am going to be out on Saturday, but Sunday is backup/2nd day if all goes well. I'm sailing out the Severn, and often head towards Thomas Point. Dark green hull, and no insignia on her sails (yet).

Ed,

Of the Florida Foss Foam versus California, when I called the Florida folks, they refered me to California. To the best of my knowledge they are related companies, but California seems to have the Ericson connection. Of course, this raises why I was calling, which was to talk about approach on rebuilding my own rudder. I got great advice from Foss in California (after a nice call to Florida which redirected me to CA). I can say that the time/knowledge gained in that phone call made it a success versus failure as I had miscalculated on the foam density, and they set me straight. If interested, here's a link to it on Emerald's website:

http://home.comcast.net/~independence31/rudder/rudder-intro.html

If you want to, you could try rebuilding it yourself :devil:

Ed Balun

Member I
Rudder Update

I would like to thank you guys for the Foss Foam referral. I called them on 11/27. I explained my situation and was relieved with the response. They said if nothing got bent and nothing got sheared off, then my existing rudder and repair 4 years ago should be fine. He also said he would like to sell me one but I really didn't need it. $1200.00 complete or $600.00 if the existing rudder post could be re-used. I've decided to keep the money in the bank for now. Happy Holidays fellas!:)