• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sails New Sails + Furler for 1976 Ericson 27'

All sails and sail-related equipment. Includes sails themselves as well as roller furling, lazy jacks, etc.

sialawaysailaway90

Hi everyone!

I was recently given my dad's starter (1976 Ericson 27'). It's great in so many ways but has so much potential. We sail very often (mainly during summer/early fall on Puget sound) to Kingston, Port Ludlow, Lanley, etc. I absolutely love it.

I am still a novice (only been sailing the past two summers, nearly everyday or weekend) and have taken a few classes (taking more later this month) but want some solid advice on sails and furlers. I don't know a lot about sails or furlers.

If I missed a 'sticky' my bad. I would just greatly appreciate advice.

I need to put a Furler on it along with new sails.

Any suggestions? I need something I can handle by myself. Right now, dropping the main in heavy winds is... terrifying. dropping the jib on top of it is even worse. Doing it all by myself is the scariest thing I have ever done in my life (unless the wind is completely dead) and that is saying a lot.

Cliffs-

-Novice (taking lessons every chance I get) needs a Furler and new jib sail and main sail

-What brands? Estimates?

*Any gurus in the PNW region that would like to see what's doable and what wouldn't on my boat would be greatly appreciated as well*

Will post pictures later today of the boat!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That budget sounds in the ball park. And everybody here has a lot to learn, and has learned a lot of it here.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
We

Small world, we are on South C-dock too! That'd be awesome. My dad and I are heading down later today to sand and varnish/overall cleaning.

I’m at the boat right now. Deciding whether to go for a sail, do some puttering on the boat or sit with a book and a glass of something nice. Probably that last thing.

feel free to come by if you want. I’m 4 slips out from the Woodfire Grill restaurant…

Cell number is 425-894-8227

PS… we all have a lot to learn. One thing great about sailing, every day is a new challenge, and a new joy.

bruce

Last edited:

Jonathan G.

Member I
Welcome to the Ericson gang!
I need to put a Furler on it along with new sails.

Any suggestions? I need something I can handle by myself. Right now, dropping the main in heavy winds is... terrifying. dropping the jib on top of it is even worse. Doing it all by myself is the scariest thing I have ever done in my life (unless the wind is completely dead) and that is saying a lot.
Yes, I have a suggestion, The Sail Warehouse has a headsail+furler package available for the Ericson 27. Right now, the package which includes the CDI FF6 furler, and a Rolly Tasker 135% genoa with foam luff pad, lists for $2,657. I bought a similar package for my E25 last year, plus a main sail, when TSW had a sale on them in January.

The sails are fine quality, and the CDI furler is definitely my choice. It does not have a swivel at the top, but uses instead its own, internal halyard. There's simply no possibility of it jamming and breaking the forestay. The luff extrusion is relatively large as a result, but the effect on sailing performance is unnoticeable to me. (The gain in performance from new sails was overwhelming.) I hear the traditionalists extol the virtues of a hank-on jib, and I somewhat agree, but the Ericson 25 has large head sails compared to the foredeck area, so flaking them on deck was an ordeal, especially if there was any wind. (And stowing them below takes up a lot of room in a 25 foot boat.) I'm guessing the E27 is similar.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Like Jonathan I have a CDI furler, (it's on my E27) and bought it with a135 fifteen or so years ago. Back then it was $1300 for both! I needed a flexible furler so I could tabernacle the mast for bridge clearance in Santa Cruz CA. The CDI has turned out to be a good furler. It's a simple unit and the internal halyard works pretty well. I like that it free's up halyard space at the masthead. We tend to sail in strong wind in Santa Cruz so I replaced the 135 with a 110.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I had the CDI furler on my old E27 and it worked just fine. Still going strong, in fact.

sialawaysailaway90

i have learned quite a bit since my original post. I thank all of you for your input and advice. I will be reaching out to those that said it would be alright for me to do so..

I REALLY underestimated the cost for… everything. I cannot thank y’all enough