Orienting a 2 speed winch for Load Direction

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am puzzled by how to best interpret the Lewmar install instructions for my old set(s) of 46 primaries and 43 secondaries.
(They are being reinstalled with new angled risers to cure the occasional override due their being too low on the side deck.)

A copy of the original Lewmar manual page shows that the load should come in toward the "output gear". This guide is easy to follow for the primary winch because most of the time the genoa sheet load comes from ahead of the winch. The secondary winches can have loads coming from the runners, aft, or from a spinnaker snatch block ahead, to the side, or aft.

Anyone know of the difference in intrinsic strength for loads from other than the recommended directions?
Note that the mounting holes are not symmetrical.

Thanks,
Loren

Attachments

• Lewmar winch fitting .jpg
    Lewmar winch fitting .jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,853

gregdettmer

Member I
In my opinion,

The drum converts the sheet load in to a rotational force which appears on the “gear” on the inside of the drum and is applied to the output gear of the 2/3 speed winch. The direction of sheet load would have no effect on the rotational force applied to the output gear.

However, the direction of the sheet load does potentially have an effect on the backlash between the “gear” on the inside of the drum and the output gear caused by drum deflection due to sheet loading. When backlash is to great it causes improper wear on the gears and when backlash becomes “zero” the gears will become very hard to turn and / or bind. On a winch that has two new bearings for support between the post and the drum, deflection caused by sheet loads is probably negligible. If there is only one bearing or the two bearings are worn, the deflection would be greater and the risk of binding could exist.

Regards
Greg Dettmer
S/V Spirit Soul
1981 e38

Backlash.jpg

AleksT

Member III
Having serviced (cleaned and regreased) a number of winches that have been installed any old way, I have not noticed more wear or damage to winches that were installed not following manufacturer recommendations.
Strength of the winch is dictated by how well it is installed and the diameter of the drum and gearing ratios.
I would suggest you set up your secondaries for the most common load that they will see. Do you use your spinnaker from forward more than the runners from aft or vice versa? Also you can consider adding turning blocks to lead all your lines to those winches from the same direction.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Having serviced (cleaned and regreased) a number of winches that have been installed any old way, I have not noticed more wear or damage to winches that were installed not following manufacturer recommendations.
Strength of the winch is dictated by how well it is installed and the diameter of the drum and gearing ratios.
I would suggest you set up your secondaries for the most common load that they will see. Do you use your spinnaker from forward more than the runners from aft or vice versa? Also you can consider adding turning blocks to lead all your lines to those winches from the same direction.

Thanks to you and to Greg. Now I know some trivia about gear loading, as well!
The secondaries will indeed be oriented for the normal direction of input.
I was just having a (likely wasted time) concern over whether the winch base casting could possibly distort under severe load if from a "wrong" direction.

Regards,
Loren