PNW Rendezvous - July 14-15-16 - Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA

Virginia

Member II
Plans need to change as of April 2023. Sad to know we will NOT be able to attend by automobile either. However, we will be with you in spirit. Enjoy. Safe voyaging to you all.
TKBLACK /ACHATES. ‘93 PSE 34-2
This makes me very sad. I hope you and Tom are well. I was looking forward to seeing you again.

TKBLACK

Member II
This makes me very sad. I hope you and Tom are well. I was looking forward to seeing you again.
Thank you Virgini,
We r well but at age 93 it makes logical sense to turn over our wonderful vessel to another happy couple. Brian and Shannon love the boat.
We r still hoping to visit the rendezvous via automobile because we were wanting to catching up with you also. But, ferry problems. Being hopeful.

Andy

We found our ziplock baggie with the invite on board our 25+ Pepper yesterday as we headed out to enjoy those excellent after work sailing conditions. Thanks Virginia (i assume)! We have reserved a spot at the marina and are most excited for the meet up!

As an aside, this forum has been invaluable to us as we learn the ins and outs of the Ericson line. Much thanks and we'll see y'all in July!

-Andy and Jessi out of Bellingham on board Pepper

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Thank you Virgini,
We r well but at age 93 it makes logical sense to turn over our wonderful vessel to another happy couple. Brian and Shannon love the boat.
We r still hoping to visit the rendezvous via automobile because we were wanting to catching up with you also. But, ferry problems. Being hopeful.
Hey Karin and Tom...

If you can get to some place on the way (Friday Harbor? Shaw Island Ferry dock? Port Townsend?).... I'd be happy to pick you up on my way and get you the rest of the way to Deer Harbor.

Food for thought...

TKBLACK

Member II
Hey Karin and Tom...

If you can get to some place on the way (Friday Harbor? Shaw Island Ferry dock? Port Townsend?).... I'd be happy to pick you up on my way and get you the rest of the way to Deer Harbor.

Food for thought...
Wow Thanks. Interesting idea. I’ll check with Tom.
K

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
Tom and Karin

We can help you get a ferry reservation to Orcas Island. Virginia and I ran a camp on Orcas Island for 19 years, so we are very familiar wih the ferry system and their reservation system.

You'll need a reservation to get a car to any of the San Juan Islands. If you check the reservations web page for Friday July 15, you will see that all sailings to Orcas Island are aready filled. The reservation system opened for summer reservations in April and the first 30% of the reservation slots are now full.

The next 30% of the reservation slots will be available two weeks before the sailing date. We sent you a DM with a lot of information on how to secure a ferry reservation. It's a lot of information so we sent it privately to limit the length of this post.

Let us know if you have any questions.

TKBLACK

Member II
Tom and Karin

We can help you get a ferry reservation to Orcas Island. Virginia and I ran a camp on Orcas Island for 19 years, so we are very familiar wih the ferry system and their reservation system.

You'll need a reservation to get a car to any of the San Juan Islands. If you check the reservations web page for Friday July 15, you will see that all sailings to Orcas Island are aready filled. The reservation system opened for summer reservations in April and the first 30% of the reservation slots are now full.

The next 30% of the reservation slots will be available two weeks before the sailing date. We sent you a DM with a lot of information on how to secure a ferry reservation. It's a lot of information so we sent it privately to limit the length of this post.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks. KB

Virginia

Member II
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO RENDEZVOUS PARTICIPANTS

If you have made a reservation at Deer Harbor for the Rendezvous, please confirm with the marina that you are part of the Ericson Rendezvous July 14-16 2023. We checked with the marina this past weekend, and they seem to find that only a few boats had a note about being with the rendezvous.

To check, go to your Receipt email from Deer Harbor Marina and click on the green Message Marina button. It will take you to the dockwa.com reservation system. If you previously added a note about being part of the rendezvous, you will see your message on the dockwa.com web page. If there is not a message, use this same web page to add a note about being part of the Ericson Rendezvous July 14-16 2023.

The marina wants to put the Ericson rendezvous boats near each other. If you do not let the marina know you are part of this group, you may end up in a slip far from the rest of the group.

Virginia

Member II
RENDEZVOUS SCHEDULE

We have seventeen boats registered for the rendezvous! We have five boats coming from British Columbia and three from Portland Oregon.

Ericson boats include a 25+, two Ericson 36C, and an Ericson 39.

We’ve attended only two rendezvous events, and put together below a tentative schedule based on what has happened before. But we want this to be a group-driven event where we collectively decide the schedule.

If you’ve attended previous Rendezvous’, what have been your favorite topics/things to do?

What interests, tips and tricks of sailing are you interested in hearing about as a topic focus?

Do you have an area of expertise you would like to present and share information on?

Your thoughts and ideas are welcome!

Work-In-Progress Schedule ideas

Ericson PNW Rendezvous 2023
Friday - Saturday - Sunday
Deer Harbor Check-in Friday after 12:00 Noon
Deer Harbor Check-out Sunday by 12:00 Noon
(Unless you have booked for a longer stay)

Friday Evening
Informal get together at the party barge
Tall tales and short stories

Saturday Morning
Grand boat tour
What have you done on your boat to show and help others

Saturday Lunch
Bring your own and gather as you like (dockside or at the barge, or one of the restaurants nearby)

Early Saturday afternoon
Topic presentation(s)

Late Saturday afternoon
Happy hour
Sailing/Ericson Jeopardy game

Saturday dinner potluck at the party barge
Grill available

Sunday Breakfast and send off
Bring your own, dockside or party barge

Give us your input!

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO RENDEZVOUS PARTICIPANTS

If you have made a reservation at Deer Harbor for the Rendezvous, please confirm with the marina that you are part of the Ericson Rendezvous July 14-16 2023. We checked with the marina this past weekend, and they seem to find that only a few boats had a note about being with the rendezvous.

To check, go to your Receipt email from Deer Harbor Marina and click on the green Message Marina button. It will take you to the dockwa.com reservation system. If you previously added a note about being part of the rendezvous, you will see your message on the dockwa.com web page. If there is not a message, use this same web page to add a note about being part of the Ericson Rendezvous July 14-16 2023.

The marina wants to put the Ericson rendezvous boats near each other. If you do not let the marina know you are part of this group, you may end up in a slip far from the rest of the group.
I just re-confirmed we are part of the rendezvous group. Thx Virginia!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sadly........
I just cancelled our slip reservation at Deer Harbor. No way are we now ready for a 350 mile journey in mostly open waters, leaving by July 4 or so.
Best to look ahead to 2024. Interestingly, some research into doing the visit as a land cruise has revealed some things about the old problem of "not knowing what I don't know" as well. :oops:
Unlike many prior visits to Vancouver Island and many ferry trips across the Sound on the larger state ferry's, the smaller boats that service the Islands are much more limited in capacity and reliability of scheduling. A visit of web sites for lodging on Orcus was kind of an eye opener, also. Not much under $400/Night, even if/when we do arrive; and not much seems open at any price.
Stupid me: having only previously visited the San Juans by boat, I had never thought about making the trip by vehicle.

Ironically, from a monetary standpoint, a visit from Portland to the San Juans by sailboat might be cheaper overall, out of pocket. :cool:

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
Sadly........
I just cancelled our slip reservation at Deer Harbor. No way are we now ready for a 350 mile journey in mostly open waters, leaving by July 4 or so.
Yes, sad to hear this.

However, in case you change your mind, I sent you a DM with some tricks for booking a ferry reservation. Only 30% of the ferry space has been opened so far for reservations, and the next 30% will come available in the next few days. I also included a link to an inn very near the marina you might consider that is less expensive than what you were finding.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
If you previously added a note about being part of the rendezvous, you will see your message on the dockwa.com web page.
I added the note when I made my reservation, and confirmed it is there in my Dockwa page.

Interestingly (?) when I called the marina they said they didn't know anything about a Rendezvous and had no plan for grouping us together. I tried to articulate that this is a *group*, and we'd like to be on the same dock, they said they'd do what they could but didn't have a "plan" for us.

Bruce

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I added the note when I made my reservation, and confirmed it is there in my Dockwa page.

Interestingly (?) when I called the marina they said they didn't know anything about a Rendezvous and had no plan for grouping us together. I tried to articulate that this is a *group*, and we'd like to be on the same dock, they said they'd do what they could but didn't have a "plan" for us.

Bruce
When I called to cancel, the nice lady seemed to know about our Rendezvous and this group being together. Now I wonder if their "Dockwa" participation may not always mesh with reservations made directly with the marina. There probably has to be a constant reconciliation by the marina staff, and some info may well not get into the appropriate spreadsheet.
(Mentioned only because something like this has happened with our personal motel reservations that went thru a corporate web db and also thru a local lobby desk reservation process.)