Possible fixes for winch interference?

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Ref the original winch positions-- I think the factory setup was this:

20190324_175023.1~2.jpg
#18 winch for mainsheet, #10 for main halyard. Deck organizer only had 2 sheaves, so no other lines or clutches on stbd side. Whoever added the (non-factory) rope clutches must have changed things up.

With factory setup, the halyard winch handle didn't hit the mainsheet winch, but with a dodger, you could still only get a half-crank on it.

Here is my re-rig discussion: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/running-rigging-redux.825/

peaman

Sustaining Member
I think the factory setup was this:
This is really useful. It looks like the main sheet winch was moved aft to allow a full turn without interferance from the dodger.

For now, I guess the plan will be to cant the outboard winch outboard, and to get a dodger with more-vertical isinglass.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'd first decide the dodger design you want and install it. Then make the necessary compromise on the position, height and angle of the winch.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'd first decide the dodger design you want and install it. Then make the necessary compromise on the position, height and angle of the winch.
Yup. And, take another gander the photo of our single large winch on each side of the companionway. We have more halyards than the OP's boat, and I betcha a new bank of four line clutches might handle his needs adequately.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Yup. And, take another gander the photo of our single large winch on each side of the companionway. We have more halyards than the OP's boat, and I betcha a new bank of four line clutches might handle his needs adequately.
That's worth consideration. There are few other adjustments that should be made to my layout.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Question for anyone sailing one of the larger Ericson's with a housetop traveler and a winch for the main sheet -- does that particular sheet need its own dedicated winch? Or would it be OK with a clutch stopper like the halyards and vang lines?

I just realized that this is a line that we have back on our bridge decks on the Olson's and some of the Ericson's also; not up on the cabin top at all.

markvone

Sustaining Member
I'm sure you don't want the main sheet in a clutch...... But untying the mainsheet from a cleat (in a hurry) is way worse than a cleat! My E26 cabintop mainsheet had a cam to hold the mainsheet. I would seriously think about a reconfiguration with a self-tailing winch for the mainsheet. I don't know the function of the other line on stbd, guessing a halyard, so a single self-tailing winch and a clutch for the halyard would work. While you are at it, consider any other lines you would like run aft. A single winch and multiple clutches can work for a lot of lines as long as you don't need two lines on a winch at the same time. I have 8 clutches and one self-tailing winch on each side. Not all eight lines need the winch, but they can use it in a pinch. My mainsheet is NOT on the cabintop and I don't have a dodger but I moved the winches inboard as much as possible to be able to fit a dodger later.

Mark

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think a single winch would work, but I like a main halyard and a mainsheet winch because it makes for fewer moves.

When reefing I stick the mainsheet temporarily into a clam cleat, and use that winch for the reef line. Halyard gets manipulated and readjusted on its own dedicated winch (with no clutch). In a bouncy sea there's a lot going on and if you reef and unreef multiple times a day, trading lines between clutches is a drag.

And yeah, nobody puts a mainsheet in a clutch.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
On the 30+ there is only room for one winch on either side of the companionway (you might be able to fit two small ones on the port side). Like Christian, I placed a clam cleat inline with the mainsheet. The main halyard and the 1st reef lines are all run through a triple clutch to the port cabintop winch. The reeflines don't run fair to the winch but they are not heavily loaded. 2nd reef lines and spinnaker halyard and tackline go to the starboard winch.

1622150638731.png