Purchase Survey of E29 (1976) and keel Bolts

padrik

Hello,
I had an E29 sloop hauled out today with a marine surveyor to determine if I am going to go through with this purchase. Everything was relatively fine (for a 30 year old boat) until he pulled up the 2 panels on the cabin floor and stated there are no Keel bolts in those holes.

I ran home and did a search on this site and someone stated in some models those were in fact holes that were for mounting the keel during consturction and not to be alarmed. Can someone confirm whether this is the case for a 1976 E29?

This determines whether I continue on with the purchase, or at least do a counter-offer that takes into account the replacement of said bolts.

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Internal Ballast

Internal ballast lead casting is lowered into the hull cavity. Very common construction technique in the 60's and 70's.

Suggest you check the credentials of this particular surveyor again...
:rolleyes:

IMO: This is not some sort of exotic trivia knowledge for someone working as a professional marine surveyor.

Loren

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Insurance conditions

Suppose the insurance company ends up reading the survey (it happens). Then you might end up needing to prove to them that those weren't really missing keel bolts or else document a repair . Yikes ! :confused:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Neal,
Interesting point... but even if such a low-odds situation loomed: 1) and it should not IF he always deals with a company that writes real "yacht insurance", and 2) if this happens and the buyer is out any money he would have civil recourse against the original surveyor for all costs incurred, plus damages.
Sorry to be a bit harsh, but this thread started with a surveyor's report that showed little survey expertise other than having business cards printed.

I know several experienced surveyors and they are a LOT sharper than that, and a couple of them had acquired many years of boat and/or diesel engine rebuilding experience before (!) they went into surveying.
[sorry, rant mode off]

Loren

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Ahmen

Loren,

I'm confident that the insurance company could be convinced without resorting to legal recourse since the true reason for the holes in this case is a matter of fact. It's just that with the buyer hired surveyor putting a scary sounding thing like "missing keel bolts" on the pre-purchase/insurance survey someone would likely need to write a counter document to have on file just for the underwriter to CYA. I've heard that some insurers do require certain credentials of surveyors, but that still doesn't totally preclude the catch-22 scenario we're discussing.

I fully understand your rant, so ahmen sailor. The surveryor quality issue itself could easily be at least another thread so I won't stir the pot anymore here. I've been lucky with surveyor's I've had recommended to me by my broker (actually my boss now). Results have been accurate and presented in proper perspective. A few times I used a semi-retired fellow who was a former director of SAMS or NAMS. He showed up with two hearing aids but did an excellent job. Even with the electric ears he had no problem finding the delams. On the first boat he found enough problems just on deck to save me a couple hundred of his fee and cut the survey short. He could have easily gone all the way thru and collect his whole fee.

Loren Beach said:
Hi Neal,
Interesting point... but even if such a low-odds situation loomed: 1) and it should not IF he always deals with a company that writes real "yacht insurance", and 2) if this happens and the buyer is out any money he would have civil recourse against the original surveyor for all costs incurred, plus damages.
Sorry to be a bit harsh, but this thread started with a surveyor's report that showed little survey expertise other than having business cards printed.

I know several experienced surveyors and they are a LOT sharper than that, and a couple of them had acquired many years of boat and/or diesel engine rebuilding experience before (!) they went into surveying.
[sorry, rant mode off]

Loren