Racing

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Well, I have been goaded into providing my racing results by my good friend Steve Swan (notorious E owner). He made threats to post the results and make humorous comments on my choice of beer. So here we go. My 5 minutes of glory at YPOYC annual awards banquet.

Spring Series Division IV-undefeated
Fall Series Division IV-undefeated
Challenge Cup-first place
Commodores Cup-first place

Whew! This is what cheap beer, being one with the wind gods, racing an Ericson and whole lot of luck does for a guy and his boat. A good friend crewed for most of the races and my son (28) was able to crew on a few races as well. When they were not available I did the solo thing. And last but not least, my fantastic wife that encouraged me to race Windfall this last year.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Great job Kim. This was our first year racing the Ericson after being very successfull racing our previous Pearson 28. I set some goals to get me some satisfaction. Started out the seaon getting mostly 5tha nd 6th out of about 12 boats.

Goal for the season was to beat my friend in his Sabre 39(PHRF 129, mine is 141). Did that by mid season during the summer series. Actually beat him over the line for the remainder of the races.

Next was to take the gun. Did that a few races later.

Next was to win. Did that 2nd to last race(although my friend Larry in his Ericson 34(PHRF 141) did not race)

Last race, Larry was present. So of course my last goal was to beat Larry. followed him around all night. It came down to a tacking dual and we took him at the line to take first and the gun.

Finished 4th overall for the series(1 point out of 3rd). And also beat my old boat who placed 5th.

I can't wait for next season :egrin:

joerun26

Member II
Congrats Kim and Tim.

Not to turn this into a another prop thread, but can you tell us what type of prop you're running with ? I have a '87' 35-3 and will be changing props this winter, and was wondering how much you credit your success in club racing to your prop - if any (assuming you have either a folding or feather). I have a wore out martec 2 blade folder and am considering a 3 blade fixed Campbell Sailor (mainly due to cost). I do some light club racing and am wondering how significant the increased drag would be ( I sometimes think its over rated). Hoping to report some similar success at the end of the '08' season.

Thanks very much..
Joe

treilley

Sustaining Partner
All of my success is credited to my awesome crew. Ok, now that I got that out of the way, A folding or feathering prop makes a huge difference. Especially in lighter wind. Some say as much as a half a knot. I raced my Pearson with a 2 blade fixed and then a 2 blade folder and it was noticably better. I have only raced the Ericson with the folder and I am starting to do well now that I have learned the boat. It is amazing how on both boats my forward and reverse motoring performance increased with the new prop. Both of them are Flex o Fold props. Call Chuck Angle at Flex o Fold and tell him what your needs are. He is a great guy to speak with and will give you honest answers.

Don't get too concerned with the performance of the prop as most PHRF orgs will adjust based on the type of prop you have. My PHRF dropped 3 points when I added the folding prop. Buy a prop that suits the majority of your needs. That said, I think I would only consider a 3 blade fixed if I was going off shore.

Last edited:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Thanks to all. And BTW, we have a Max 2 blade feathering. It was on the boat when we purchased. Seems to work well but there is prop walk to port when under power in reverse. Nature of the beast I am told.

sailingdeacon

Member III
I had a campbell 3 blade fixed on a Niagra 31 and it is a super, superior prop with much less drag than a michigan. extremely balanced and makes the engine sound super. I did not race with it however. Talk to West by NW. Go with this if you are cruise oriented but race sometimes. The drag charts are available at West by NW

I now have a 3 blade older model Martec feathering. Lots of size to the hub and it is on a shaft at considerable down angle, so the drag is still not as good a a 2 blade folding prop would be. I have raced with this on my E34 1987 with ok success, perhaps not super results. I have on order a 2 blade SS Slipstream from Australia. Pricey but they claim wonders with it. Buying from West by NW who sell the campbell also. Will have it installed within a week and will report. Supposedly the Slipstream has better prop angles, etc and is better constructed than mosts 2 blade folding. Supposedly smoother, etc.

The 3 blade feathering Martec will be for sale.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I now have a 3 blade older model Martec feathering. Lots of size to the hub and it is on a shaft at considerable down angle, so the drag is still not as good a a 2 blade folding prop would be. I have raced with this on my E34 1987 with ok success, perhaps not super results. I have on order a 2 blade SS Slipstream from Australia. Pricey but they claim wonders with it. Buying from West by NW who sell the campbell also. Will have it installed within a week and will report. Supposedly the Slipstream has better prop angles, etc and is better constructed than mosts 2 blade folding. Supposedly smoother, etc.

The 3 blade feathering Martec will be for sale.

Please let me know when you put the 3 blade featherer on the market. (And, material, diameter and shaft size.) I have a 1995 Martec 2 blade bronze featherer, and am wanting to upgrade to a 3 blade featherer to reduce engine noise. I like the motoring and sailing performance, and want to next quiet the drive train somewhat. It has proven difficult to budget for the "improvement," (if purchased new) however. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Racing and Martec Props

Finally....on 11/11/07 I entered my first race.....short around the bouys....very geriatric crew.....ages of 3 range from 70 to 78...had one youngster aboard in his early 30's but his sailing experience is quite limited...so.....all was going as well as could be expected.....leading up the first beat leg......we noticed large wrinkles in the luff of the headsail.....a quick look at the backstay adjuster leaking oil told the story.....so we just kept pumping and watching for the ram to slide......fortunatly.....a short race.......long story short we beat some good boats......came in third out of six in our section.....one of the boats we beat was a Beneteau 39......who would you believe that under the goofy rating system used here we gave time....but beat them boat for boat.....Pretty good I think for an old boat sailed by a bunch of old guys.......

FWIW......I have had nothing but Martec 2 blade folders on my boats since 1971 ........never had a problem......had them serviced every 5 years.....used to talk to Walt Beck.....always a gentleman.....and his son Gary is following in his foot steps.....

Glad to be a part of this Ericson group.....

Mort Fligelman
Acapella - 87 E35-3
Boca Raton, Florida

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Good job Mort! My greatest respect to people in their seventies that get out there and show their stuff. I am in hopes that my wife and I can do the same when the time comes. However, it aways helps to have a younger crew member on board. Especially if some heavy cranking is called for on the winches. My 28 year old son normally gets the honors for the hard labor part.

I ditto your comment about being a part of this great group of Ericson owners.