Raritan PH2 decisions...

wurzner

Member III
Tom,

2 pumps in one day...that is criminal. That means 2 bottles of St James? sounds like you are double dipping. the only salvation is to send one of the bottles to me. By the way, you should move to to Everett (just north of seattle). I have a lot of boat projects!

Your dock mates should be thankful.
regards
shaun

vbenn

Member III
Joker Valve

Just replaced the joker valve on a 1 yr old Jabsco to correct a backflow problem. Upon inspection, the rubber valve appeared to have been abraded and slightly stretched. I believe that this was caused by pouring chlorox bleach into the bowl and pumping a few strokes at the end of each weekend. While you're at it, check your hoses and make sure that they are correct for marine head plumbing. Mine were black exhaust hose which is permeable - - no wonder I couldn't get rid of the smell!! I have since replaced them.

For years, I've been using cheap vegetable oil in the bowl to lube the pump - - works great and I recommend it. But be sure to clean any splash on the underside of the bowl cover/seat immediately because it's difficult to remove after the oil has "cured" for a week or two in the summer heat.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue

stbdtack

Member III
Neil , we were allowed on the boat 2 hours before departure. After loading all the gear and food I wasnt going to waste "our nickel" sitting at the dock while the maintenance guys tried to fix the heads. I asked for a tool box and fixed them while underway......

CaptnNero

Accelerant
DIY bareboat maintenance

Ben, not a good start for a vacation, eh. Good thing you didn't need to send out for parts !

I'm glad it worked out for you. Resourcefulness is just part of seamanship.

stbdtack said:
Neil , we were allowed on the boat 2 hours before departure. After loading all the gear and food I wasnt going to waste "our nickel" sitting at the dock while the maintenance guys tried to fix the heads. I asked for a tool box and fixed them while underway......

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
vegitable oil ... works

We flushed a cup full of oil through this weekend and it did wonders to reduce the pump effort. Thanks to all for the idea.
Loren

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Does anyone know of any other downsides to using oil? I know Peggy Hall, the sanitation expert, has mentioned that oil will stay on top of the fluid in the holding tank and interfere with the work of the aerobic (?) bacteria, or something like that. She advises not to go with adding stuff, and especially not the latest "fad of the month". But if something works, who knows....
Any thoughts?
Frank.

Shadowfax

Member III
I wouldn't call the olive oil trick the "fad of the month" We've been using it for 20 years. I know Peggy dosen't like putting "stuff" into the tank, but I look at the holding tank as a holding tank and not a septic system. I like olive oil better then the chemicals on the market and the olive oil sure does the job for us

Mike.Gritten

Member III
As I've said before, we live aboard and use our systems much more often/extensively than most others and we find the vegetable oil works great at keeping the head lubed and has never caused us any problem with the holding tank or its contents :)