Replacing fuel tank on 1973 E27

rgoff

Member III
I'm having a lot of problems with either rust or varnish in my original 15 gallon steel tank. I've decided to replace it for greater confidence on trips.

The tank is 10" high X 16" wide X 24" long and located between the engine and rudder post. The long dimension is across the boat (nautically called athwartships). The seat hatch in the cockpit is wide and long enough to get the tank out. This ASS-U-MEs that I can move the tank around with all the nearby restrictions (rudder post, etc.) to get it in position to come out the hatch.

BTW, I have tiller steering and an Atomic 4 engine.

Anybody done this?

The local shipyard gave me the name of a sheet metal place that will be build an exact replica, so I'm not worried about getting it back in, IF I can get it out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave G

Member II
I went through the same drill on my E29 about a year ago. To test out the new tank size I made a mock up out of cardboard and "practiced" installing it before I had the nice aluminum one made. Worked out great, I managed to increase the size of the tank a little and still get it installed. After I finished testing the mock up I gave the cardboard model to the tank shop and viola, I had a tank the fit great. Installing is still a job for a contortionist, but no more worries about a 30 year old tank.

Dave
E29
Spirit