• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Mast Head Sheeves

msc1212

Member II
I need to replace my mast head sheeves on my E35Mk11 1970. It is the original mast. I'm mystified as to how to remove the pins holding the sheeves. On the exterior of the mast are two small plates which cover the two pins. I removed these (in minus six degree weather) and found the pins. They're flush with the surface of the mast and there is no means to pry them out. There is also no access from the other side of the mast to push them out. Were these designed to be removed at all? I think one of the pins is bent which would explain why my sheeves aren't working very well - raising my main feels like pushing a rock up a hill. Is there some secret that I'm not aware of? A password? Should I drill holes on the opposite side of the mast to push them out. As always, I appreciate any advice.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have never done this but my mast is in my basement right now and one of the pins seemed to be somehow attached to one of the plates. I think the pins are designed to slide out when the mast is turned over on it's side but I could see how years of corrosion has made them stick. Mabe you can drill a small whole in the end of one to insert an easy out which could make the pin spin breaking the hold and then slide them out.

Emerald

Given that the pins are stainless, I would not recommend the easyout method. I think you'll find drilling into the end of the pin very difficult, even using cutting fluid, and if successful, I don't think the easyout will bite, and if it does, I'll put my money on it shearing. I say this having had way too many easyouts shear on me over the years under "ideal" conditions. If you can get heat on it without burning up wires, and with the realization you are going to mess up paint in the area if the mast is painted (and don't set it on fire) you might get it to break free. Also, I'd be inclined to look at a small opposing hole and knocking it out with a drift.

Good luck

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Ericson used three mast manufacuturers for the E35, I have attached a picture of mine, which may or may not be similar to yours. Where we seem to differ is I could identify the location of both ends of the pins beneath the paint, making driving them out straightforward.

I have replaced my sheaves, the replacements are from www.rigrite.com. The pins I had made in a machine shop. I did not replace the small plates, that you described, on the mast, but had cotter holes cut in the pins instead. I had to move the sheaves fore and aft on the mast, as they had been installed in a location where the halyards cut into the masthead itself. I had the old holes welded closed.

For you, if you can see no trace of where the pins attach on the one side, it would be very difficult to drill in the right place from the outside. You will also have the problem that the mast is much softer than the pin when it comes to drilling. Maybe you could cut through the pins at the sheaves with a sawzall, remove the sheaves, and then have some room to pull on/push through the pins. If that fails, you could try cutting the pins off flush, on the side of the mast where you can not see them going through, and drill through them with a long drill bit going right through the mast (that is how I drilled my new holes).

I hope you can picture what I am talking about - itis the kind of thing it is hard to put into words.

Gareth
Freyja E3 #241 1972

Attachments

• 47001.jpg
    47001.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

hodo

Member III
On my e 30+, the sheave pin had a blind hole, with a cover over the pin to retain it. With careful measuring, I was able to drill a pilot hole, and then after finding I was in the correct place, I made it large enough to use a pin punch to drive it out. I sprayed it down with PBpartsblaster to help. Remember to not be in a hurry, as you may have to work it both directions to free it up well. You will find,( if my porter influenced brain is remembering correctly), one end of the pin is cut on an angle where the lock plate covers it. Dont know how my e 38 is set up. Good Luck, Harold, Mischief :devil: Maker