• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Sailing Instruments

lbertran

Member III
It seems my Datamarine instruments are beginning to show signs of age and decrepitude. So I'm beginning my research for possible replacements. On my 35-3, the displays are mounted on the port cockpit bulkhead. They are, of course, big and round, and not at all like the spanky square digital displays of today. How have any of you dealt with putting a square display in a very round hole? I'd like to keep the displays on the bulkhead in order to avoid a lot of expensive glassing in and gelcoating. Also any good or bad experiences with particular brands? Any suggestions appreciated.

Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis, MD

e38 owner

Member III
instruments

I put a lewmar window where the old instruments were I had the old combi system .
It worked great

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Laura, I have the same setup/problem. I believe that modern instruments like the Raymarine ST60 are large enough to cover the 4" hole so you could get away with gluing in a 4" plug cut from a fiberglass sheet. However, I am still using my refurbished Datamarine's and haven't crossed that bridge yet.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, the previous owner had the instruments on my E38 moved to a Navpod setup along with a chartplotter also in a Navpod mounted to a nice stainless mount just in front of the Edson steering post like the modern boats have. The old instrument holes are glassed in/over and the gelcoat was very well done. You have to be looking for it to notice the gelcoat work. I think it updates the boat very nicely and makes it much easier to keep an eye on the instruments with passengers on board. I have no idea what this cost however I like it enough that I would likely pay for it again if I had to, no question. If you want pics I'll try to get some in a day or so. RT

lbertran

Member III
Thanks For The Replies

You all offer different approaches to the problem and give me a lot to consider.

Laura

hodo

Member III
instrument placement

Rob, pictures, please ! I am interested to see how yours was done. Thanks, Harold

Mike.Gritten

Member III
If you use the "Search" above, you can search on "Navman instruments" and it will give you some choices. One of those has a photo of my install using StarBoard bases to mount the gauges on. There isn't really enough "meat" to mount the instruments in the existing holes as the NavMan units utilize a 2" hole to secure them. Some glass wizard could cover the holes from inside (on my 35-2, the back of the instruments are in a small cubbyhole that has access from inside) as you won't see the glasswork behind them anyway. We have secured the starboard so it is easily removable if I get more skilled with glasswork in the future! In the meantime, it looks fine and keeps water out from inside the boat. Judge for yourself. I'm sure that this would work for many other brands of square bezel instruments, not just the Navman stuff.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Square readouts in round holes

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2131&referrerid=28

This is the thread with my deathless prose about how I replaced the old round Datamarines with a set of new Raymarine ST60's. Basically it was the solution Geoff suggested. After several years, they are working fine...

Additionally, here are some digi photos of the outside (the bezels do cover the rings) and the inside that do show the FRP rings epoxied into place.

Loren

Attachments

• Both Instruments head.jpg
    Both Instruments head.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 180
  • InstrumentFaces.jpg
    InstrumentFaces.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 195
  • InstrumentBack Head.jpg
    InstrumentBack Head.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

hodo

Member III
Sorry to hear about your weather, ours is pretty nice, mid 60's wind toay was 10-15 knts. went out for a couple hours before work tonight. No rush. here's to fair weather, fair winds, and good friends to navigate them. Harold, S/V Mischief Maker. Cheers

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Laura, what did you end up doing about the Datamarine holes? I am thinking more seriously about replacing my instruments now (Perhaps with the Maretron NMEA 2000 compliant display at the help or on the coaming) and will need to cover the old holes.

windjunkee

Member III
Geoff,

We recently replaced our instruments. We had a Garmin GPS unit, A Standard Horizon speed/depth display and a Standard Horizon wind display. We replaced them with the same GPS, and B&G analog wind, digital multi display and tri-function display. The layout was tricky, but we had to enlarge some of the holes. Then we mounted the 4 instruments on a pre-cut star board, sealed and caulked around the star board and screwed the whole thing in. It looks great and it is visible throughout the cockpit (as long as someone is not sitting directly in front of it, leaning forward)

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
The problem is that I would like to have all the instruments at the helm and the tridata repeaters for B&G and the others do not handle wind speed and angle AFAIK. So you really have to go with the NMEA 2000 instruments (which I think are the wave of the future) which show all readouts on a single screen, including all the data from the ultasonic "weather station". It saves a lot or real estate, but then you are left with the holes.

jkm

Member III
Back in April I posted a picture of my guages that I do not want to replace.

I need a new masthead. If anyone now reading this thread has any leads, please let me know.

I'm doing my best to keep my boat stock.

John

Attachments

• attachment.php.jpg
    attachment.php.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 135

windjunkee

Member III
Geoff,

Actually, the tri-function display from B&G will display what ever you want it to. I use the H-1000 digital display and the tfd together to display 5 sets of data. I have speed, course, true wind direction, true wind speed, apparent wind speed. However, you can display everything from GPS coordinates to water temperature.
As for the star board, we actually used a fairly dense closed-cell foam around the underside of the panel. Then, once screwed in place, caulked around the edge. Don't remember what kind of caulk, but it firmed up and we haven't had any leaking.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

lbertran

Member III
Still Hanging In There With Datamarine

Geoff-
My Datamarine instruments have made it through another season. We're hauling the boat on Nov. 12 and have a number of projects planned, including new cutless bearing, which will soak up most available cash. Don't know if we'll get to the instruments this winter, but I was thinking about sending the wind display to Datamarine for service. I don't know whether that's going to be an efficient expenditure or whether I should just wait and switch over to Raymarine ST60's.
Laura
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis

jkm

Member III
Laura

Here's my two cents worth.

You can spend a virtual fortune upgrading electronics on a boat. Will more precise instruments and more data make your summer sailing more enjoyable.

If yes then go for it.

My instruments are beautiful (though inoperative), I sail with only my GPS 276, a depth finder, average quality radio, and my hand held aviation radio (after all I'm in Santa Monica Bay and there are hundreds of planes around at all hours)

I spend my money on maintaining my Penquin and little extra on creature comforts.

I'd get your old instruments rebuilt and put your money where you can enjoy it most or must.

The best element of this 'Information Exchange' is that there are some incredible yachtsmen out there, with absolutely fantastic advice, and you get to pick and choose.

Remember we all love our boats, whether we sail in 80 knot adventures or 12 knot winds.

Don't miss the thread on "Knockdowns", what an experience.

Enjoy the winter and eat some crabs for all of us who can't get those Maryland delights. The only thing I miss about DC was the proximty to those crabs and cold beer.

John