• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Show me your transom decals

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Sean, how did it come about that your 35-3 became the accompanying photo on the Cruising World review of the 35-2..?
Seeing the pic above triggered my memory and always wondered why CW would do that.
Yeah, I don't know. They had contacted me about using the picture of my boat for "a review" of the E35 and I told them it was an E35-3...but somehow that did not translate through the chain of their production staff...so.... I've always looked at it as a blackeye for them.....

windblown

Member III
That's a slick-looking backstay tensioner. Does it use a winch handle? Can you tell me who makes that one? Thanks. Pretty boat.
Thank you. The backstay adjuster is a Harken B500 with worm drive, and it uses a standard winch handle. Makes adjusting really easy.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I tried for the Viking vibe copying the font and colons from the ending credits of The Vikings.

Attachments

• transom name.jpg
    transom name.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 1617455861014.png
    1617455861014.png
    312.8 KB · Views: 18

Aerandir

SV Aerandir
We have a transom hung rudder, so we have to pick one side or the other for our boat name Aerandir E30-2. (78). It desperately needs a new decal.

Can anyone tell us we’re we can get one of those great large Ericson decals ? It would look good on the opposite side of the transom..

we are thinking of moving the decal to the side.. but are Leary of scuffs ..

Our plan is to use the Aniron font.. the owner before gave it Viking horns on the “A”. Looked good then.. can’t find that now.

Attachments

• D42318EF-E919-4D75-B859-2897BFA75F5F.jpeg
    D42318EF-E919-4D75-B859-2897BFA75F5F.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 17

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have a transom hung rudder, so we have to pick one side or the other for our boat name Aerandir E30-2. (78). It desperately needs a new decal.

Can anyone tell us we’re we can get one of those great large Ericson decals ? It would look good on the opposite side of the transom..
While the larger national vendors have OK deals on names/hailing ports, like BoatUS, and a host of unknown 'net suppliers, we have always used local sign shops. Trick is to be sure that they really do use top quality UV-resistant material. I personally try to find out, in the 'interview' part of the process, if they are doing a lot of truck and commercial vehicle business.
I noted that this material was used for our new name:
Most vendors will have their own font collections, but if you have your own digital file for something like the Ericson emblem (or any other letter with some 'horns'...) most will accept your digital material brought in on a thumb drive.

Applying the large piece of lettering is, potentially, a bit tricky. For me, anyway. I did my own work on our prior boat and sweated bullets in the process. Both times for the present boat, I have paid to have it done while the boat was in the yard. Handling a large piece of translucent backing and avoid wrinkles is challenging for some of us neophytes. :)
There is one picture in my recent blog of a friend & ship wright finishing up our new names. He actually changed the font in his graphics program to get the first letter in our font to look 'just right'.

Trivia: the Olson "O" is from the Revel font, and our required bow (state) numbers are Eurostyle Bold, since only sans-serif fonts are legal for the registration number/letters.

BTW, if you decide to change to a pair of names on each flank of your boat, having them aft where the hull curves away from the dock should be pretty safe from abrasion. We have done that for decades with no damage to them. "Choices and Options" as the saying goes.
:egrin:

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
PXL_20210406_210314137.jpg
On the hard in the yard. Ordered from diylettering.com in "premium" cast vinyl. Some of the serifs on "Madison" are starting to peel. Should have used an edge sealant. Water runs down the angled transom from off our canvas cover and I think we got some freeze action that worked the edges loose.

markvone

Sustaining Member
I got mine from diylettering.com in premium vinyl as well. Cost $103 for name and hailing port. The first version (shown on transom) was black. The transom had been re-gelcoated by a PO to cover the removal of a windvane and that repair had started to crack and fade. Two previous names had been painted on. The vinyl graphic pretty much covers and distracts the eye from noticing anything else on the transom. I found installing the graphic level and centered to be an easy job using my inflatable.

The original graphic got worn on the 'G' from a dock line rub after 5 years and was noticeably UV faded after 7 years of full-year sun exposure in MD. The name was easy to remove with a heat gun and the glue came off with alcohol. I was able to re-order the same graphic using the original order number from diylettering.com for $104 in 2018. Bonus, I changed to navy blue to match my now restored sheer strips and new canvas color. I'm in the process of painting the transom so the new graphic has not been installed yet.

Mark

IMG_1783.JPGIMG_2684.JPGIMG_4078.JPGIMG_5079.JPGIMG_4517.JPG

Last edited:

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
I have never seen so many thru-hulls above the water line.....or even below. Beautiful stern!
7 were already there and I added 2 more for additional cockpit drains. All were pretty badly UV degraded so replaced with stainless because I'm attracted to shiny things.

In all there are:
4 cockpit drains, 2 each side
3 bilge pump outlets - manual, main, and shower
Propane locker vent/drain
Exhaust

Cockpit drains or bliges could've been teed and combined I suppose. But since they're there to move water when needed may as well let them do it as fast as possible.

Saverio

Member III
Good morning to all of you. In Italy the license plate of the boat is mandatory, the Coast Guard can seize it from you + a fine of € 10,000. Plate must be placed on the left aft and starboard of the bow, characters not less than 15 cm. Instead on the transom the name boat. Regards. Xavier

Attachments

• 20210115_164846.jpg
    20210115_164846.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210115_164900.jpg
    20210115_164900.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210115_164923.jpg
    20210115_164923.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 44

Aerandir

SV Aerandir
Still searching for anybody who has previously sourced the large Ericson logo for a transom ?

looking for place to order the black/blue logo from a company that already has the design ? Anybody ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Still searching for anybody who has previously sourced the large Ericson logo for a transom ?

looking for place to order the black/blue logo from a company that already has the design ? Anybody ?
If you are referring to the Ericson logo, click on 'Resources' at the top of this page and the file link should be at the top of the new page.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Nothing minor on any upgrade of a sailboat....looks terrific! Next time turn the ladder around with the rubber feet on the ground...may be safer and easier to climb? Wish my transom looked as neat and legible!
It’s a double ender. Rubber top and bottom and folds six ways I don’t understand.