• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Standing rigging replacement

selous

Inactive Member
I'm closer to owning my 1976 E27,a few more days now! The current owner has neglected the boat somewhat and although the standing rigging looks okay he has no idea how old it is so I would like to replace it.
My question is :With a deck stepped mast is it feasible to replace the rigging one piece at a time using a bosun's chair without the mast and me hitting the deck? If anyone knows or has done this on any Ericson I would really appreciate some input on techniques as I am used to doing most types of boat work but am clueless when it comes to this topic.Cheers
Lloyd

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Lloyd

I know it is feasible. You could secure a line in place of each stay or shroud before you remove them. Then you could measure the stay or shroud and purchase the new wire and turnbuckles. Then you will need to swage the new hardware. I don't think I would try to take the whole rig down at once and just secure it with lines. I would work my way around. That would mean several trips aloft. I know that most West Marine stores have a DYI swaging bench. There is a bit of skill involved in swaging. Depends on how confidant you are aloft as well. Then the rig would need to be tuned.

I believe 15 years is the life span of standing rigging. I replaced my standing rigging on my 37 year old E-27 about 6 years ago. I hired a professional who also painted the mast, spreaders & boom, replaced the wiring in the mast, new mast head and steaming light, Wind Indicator. The rigger also swaged a set of stays for my radar mast. All this for $2,800. I was able to take the boat to a yard and they removed the mast with a crane.

If I were you I would get some estimates from local riggers and compare that with the cost of all the hardware involved as well as your time. I do a lot of DYI projects on my boat but I leave the rigging to the Pros. I know there are many more Knowledgeable persons on this site and even some riggers. Hopefully they will chime in with better advice.

Good Luck and Welcome Lloyd. I love my E-27! They are great and forgiving little boats.

-Jeff

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Most yards will drop/raise the mast for a nominal fee. Deck stepped is pretty simple. I would vote for dropping the whole thing on sawhorses, removing all the standing rigging at the same time and dropping it off at the rig shop. While you are waiting you can closely inspect the mast wiring, lights, spreaders, sheaves, etc. to make sure all is well. This is all much, much easier with it on the ground. Removing/reinstalling the standing rigging will save you money as will working on the mast. It will also familiarize you with a very important part of your boat. RT

selous

Inactive Member
Jeff and Rob thanks so much for the speedy replies,I will get a quote from my local rigger and then weigh up the pros and cons of trying to do it myself.I think having the mast pulled by the yard is a good idea!Thanks again,this is a great site!

Last edited: