• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

transducer location?

jemicha

I have a 1969 e26 and am armpit deep in overhauling the whole boat it seems. At this time I am looking for a place to install a transducer inside the boat against the hull. Has anyone had any success with installing a transducer against the hull using epoxy? At the moment I am unsure if the hull is cored or not and I can't test it out as the boat is in my driveway. Thanks in advance,

Michael.

jemicha

OK, I read through your last response and found

"So I glued the transducer to the inside of the hull on centerline under the front part of the cockpit."

Does this mean you glued it just behind the keel then? I take it the centerline equidistant from the keel and the rudder is a good spot?

Michael.

jemicha

Thanks Roscoe, that is a great looking transducer.

At this point however, I am looking to avoid putting in another through-hull. And I think that it will work fine now that I know the hull is a solid layup, albeit a thick one!

Michael.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
OK, I read through your last response and found

"So I glued the transducer to the inside of the hull on centerline under the front part of the cockpit."

Does this mean you glued it just behind the keel then? I take it the centerline equidistant from the keel and the rudder is a good spot?

Michael.

Well, not too close to the keel. The beam of sound is narrow enough that if it is about two or three back of the keel there is no real interference with the sound cone.
Anywhere near center that is not over 5 to 8 degrees of slant should be fine.

LB

jemicha

Well I pour the expoxy "footing" that the transducer will sit on (just to keep it level) and will put it in and some more epoxy to hold it in tomorrow. Unfortunately I won't be able to see if it works until the boat is in the water....sigh

Thanks for your input =)

Michael.

Gordon

I just mounted a depth sounder in my E23. I did all wiring and mounting except for the transducer with boat on trailor. I left it "unglued" with all extra wire where I wanted to mount it. After launching, I used vasoline petroleum jelly between hull and transducer to check whether or not I had a good depth reading. Once I did, I cleaned really well and epoxyed in the transducer. This approach might work for you.

Gordon