Volvo Penta D1-13 diesel engine

SusanSMiller

We bought our 1981 Ericson 28+ in July 2019 and just switched to electric power (smell, noise, maintenance, fumes gave me headache).
Therefore, we have a fully functional used Volvo Penta D1-13 in perfect working order with controls, diesel tank, hoses for sale.
It is 6 years old with low hours. Previous owners from 2014-2019 filled the tank once a year. Previous owners report their previous owners had 380 hours on this engine.
In Seattle area.
I have video of engine running.
Hoping to get $1500.

Attachments

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I have the D1-13 saildrive in my SJ26. It is actually a Perkins diesel mated to a Volvo saildrive. It is quiet very low vibration and doesn't seem to use diesel. 12 gallons lasted years. The saildrive version was $12,700. I believe the engine/gearbox was $7,500 at the time (2011).

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Member
I have the D1-13 saildrive in my SJ26. It is actually a Perkins diesel mated to a Volvo saildrive. It is quiet very low vibration and doesn't seem to use diesel. 12 gallons lasted years. The saildrive version was $12,700. I believe the engine/gearbox was $7,500 at the time (2011).
I'm generally not a fan of Volvos, but if that engine is a rebranded Perkins then I'd bet it's all the more desirable. Regardless, for an engine that clean and in good running condition, $1500 is WAY too low. It's got to be worth well over twice that--maybe 3x?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
That engine looks brand new. People are getting $3100 for old abused Universals that need rebuilding. Perhaps someone on this site might like a like new engine for their 25-28? Or perhaps the Catalina site? The D1-13 in the San Juan drives it up to 7.1 knots at top cruise rpm. Putting the SJ on the scales said it weighs 6200lbs.