• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Volvo Penta D1-13 diesel engine

SusanSMiller

We bought our 1981 Ericson 28+ in July 2019 and just switched to electric power (smell, noise, maintenance, fumes gave me headache).
Therefore, we have a fully functional used Volvo Penta D1-13 in perfect working order with controls, diesel tank, hoses for sale.
It is 6 years old with low hours. Previous owners from 2014-2019 filled the tank once a year. Previous owners report their previous owners had 380 hours on this engine.
In Seattle area.
I have video of engine running.
Hoping to get $1500.

Attachments

• IMG_2632.jpeg
    IMG_2632.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5236.jpeg
    IMG_5236.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5237.jpeg
    IMG_5237.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5239.jpeg
    IMG_5239.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 46

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I have the D1-13 saildrive in my SJ26. It is actually a Perkins diesel mated to a Volvo saildrive. It is quiet very low vibration and doesn't seem to use diesel. 12 gallons lasted years. The saildrive version was $12,700. I believe the engine/gearbox was $7,500 at the time (2011).

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I have the D1-13 saildrive in my SJ26. It is actually a Perkins diesel mated to a Volvo saildrive. It is quiet very low vibration and doesn't seem to use diesel. 12 gallons lasted years. The saildrive version was $12,700. I believe the engine/gearbox was $7,500 at the time (2011).
I'm generally not a fan of Volvos, but if that engine is a rebranded Perkins then I'd bet it's all the more desirable. Regardless, for an engine that clean and in good running condition, $1500 is WAY too low. It's got to be worth well over twice that--maybe 3x?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
That engine looks brand new. People are getting $3100 for old abused Universals that need rebuilding. Perhaps someone on this site might like a like new engine for their 25-28? Or perhaps the Catalina site? The D1-13 in the San Juan drives it up to 7.1 knots at top cruise rpm. Putting the SJ on the scales said it weighs 6200lbs.

Windancer808

Windancer
can you ascertain what it would cost to crate it? I can have it picked up and shipped when it's properly boxed/crated for shipping.
Thank you.
Joe
S/V Windancer

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One 'data point' on the value of used engines... when I pulled out our 2300 hour M25XP, I had one person interested at $1000, and a delivery trip or freight bill would have also been required. Since it needed a rebuild anyway, I gave it to a sailing friend/mechanic to refurbish and replace an even older Universal. From looking at ads in CL, the 'value' of used diesels seems vary a Lot. :eek:
That said, my new 25 hp engine cost almost $10K, so there is certainly real value in sourcing a decent used motor!

SusanSMiller

can you ascertain what it would cost to crate it? I can have it picked up and shipped when it's properly boxed/crated for shipping.
Thank you.
Joe
S/V Windancer
I cannot tell you the cost to crate. In asking around, I would be the one who would need to crate it (companies don't do this), and I would need to get certification all the fluids are out (complete with proof/sticker). I wish I could crate it up for you, but that is not possible. Thank you for your inquiry. Susan

Denise McDonald

Member II
Hi, is this still available? We currently have a Volvo gas engine in our Ericson 27 and are desperate to change it out since it’s looking like they don’t even make parts for this one anymore… And we need a lot of new parts which just means custom work. Where are you located please? I’m sure we could pick it up so there would be no worry about crating. Please feel free to email me if you like. Denisegetsemail@yahoo.Com

Denise McDonald

Member II
When two Ericson Viking woman warriors meet to negotiate the purchase of a Swedish diesel.... smart men should stay safe in their taverns and drink their ale.... and thereby live another day!
:egrin:
No battle here! I humbly bow and beg for a good deal! Lol The rest of my summer sailing depends on it... I’ll grovel