Wanted racing blade for E34 or E35 (1987)

lbertran

Member III
What Do You Mean By A Racing Blade?

I have a like new 150% tri-radial laminate racing sail that the previous owner had made for my E35-3. He barely used it and I put it away when I got the boat last year. It's listed on the Bacon Sails web site (www.baconsails.com) for $1675. The Bacons catalog number is 134-BNLA-102. Let me know if you're interested.

Laura Bertran
Annapolis, MD

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Laura,
You should consider listing your 150% genoa in a new thread, IMO. It's quite a different sail. If you have the measurements for your sail, be sure to post them too.
Back when I was racing a lot in Ye Olden Days a "blade jib" used to be a heavy air jib that was full hoist and about 90 to 100% overlap. It was a good choice for heavy air sailing. Or I have it confused with a "mule" jib.
Oh well....
:)

Loren

lbertran

Member III
Thanks, Loren

I wasn't sure what was meant by that term, now I know! That hapens so often on this site, that's why I like it.

Laura

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Blades

Hi, Laura!

No worries, and be sure to list your 150 with dimensions on a new thread.

A blade is universally considered as a high aspect moderate-heavy air upwind headsail-typically 90-105% LP. "High aspect" means tall and thin-or in real terms full or nearly full hoist, and an LP close to 100%, + or -.

Good luck!

S

sailingdeacon

Member III
Maybe a blade is not what I need??

After reading about battens in the leach for a blade and that blades are more useful for the newer smaller foretriangle designed boats, I am thinking a blade is not what I really need for the E34 or 35-3. Maybe a 100% or slightly larger traditional radial? In addition I am considering ordering from FX Sails so the measurements would be mine - seems a blade would not allow for any error in measurements. One local dealer pushing the blade was a little taken to learn I had forward lowers - I suppose because that meant the battened blade could easily hit the forward lowers.

Interesting point was that FX Sails at first responded highly on a blade sail. But when I called back to express the above, they opened up with all these consderations and then clearly favored a 110-115 overlapping genoa. (not to knock FX)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Blade talk

Deac,

Again-beyond our offline correspondence, for the benefit of the others, if you want decent performance in 18-25, you NEED a blade-nothing else will work(as well), and while it is also true that the newer frac boats do well with little jibs, it is not true that boats like the 34,35, 38, etc. do not. In fact, they were designed to sail best with this kind of sail once the breeze is up above 16 ish.

Be careful, and get in touch with me as we discussed.

Best,
S