WD Block

NCTim

Need to replace sleeves on several blocks related to genoa furling system. Current blocks are stainless steel with WD imprinted on them. Local marine store does not know who WD is and I cannot find anything on line. Anyone know who WD is and if they are still in business. Sleeves are unusually wide, about an inch. Thanks

NCTim

Thanks, Tim. I think I have found a block very similar to what I have in their catalogue. Will contact them to see if I can buy just the replacement sheaves. Big help. I appreciate it much.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
If you just want to but sheaves try Ed at Zephyrwerks.com he makes awesome sheaves to your specs and his prices are pretty darn good.

NCTim

New Sheaves

Thanks, I will check that out. The blocks are stainless and in great shape. I just need new sheaves. Appreciate the help.

BTW, I see you are in Annapolis. I had a 34 ft. Pearson at Chesapeake Harbor before moving to New Bern a year ago. Had to leave it with my partner. Just purchased the E26 alone. Love the Chesapeake. Great place to sail. Learning to sail in Pamlico Sound now. Much more shallow body of water.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Roller Furling Blocks

Hi:

I just replaced all of the blocks for my roller furler with Ronstan #30 Ball Bearing Blocks on the deck, and used #40 Ronstan Ball Bearing Blocks front and back......

Absent the friction and rolling up is a dream......no more jerking or tugging....

I use a 5/16" line.....works great....

The price on the Ronstan blocks probably will be less than new sheaves.....

FWIW

NCTim

Blocks

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that. I have a Harken catalogue here at the house.

Tim

NCTim

Blocks

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that. I have a Ronstan catalogue at the house.

Tim

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I realize that the original request here was for refurb-ing existing blocks. Sometimes -- it is actually cheaper to just start over with a replacement block from http://garhauermarine.com/
This might be a chance to update your technology to all ball bearing sheaves, too. I have been changing out our mast base turning blocks for Garhauer blocks over a period of years, usually picking up one or two at each visit to their booth at Sail Expo... :)
Good quality durable hardware and real nice folks to do business with.

Loren

Last edited: