2006 NW Ericson Rendezvous - Discussion

wurzner

Member III
Seth and the Rendez Vous

I'm going out on a limb here, but what the hell. Seth is Ericson Alumni and has contributed intectual capital that short of having his job, would be hard to provide. Given the amount of RV on the list, it is also not realistic to have him attend every RV from both a time and financial perspective. That being said, I also think that the PNW section is very active and to really go out on a limb, perhaps leading the way with respects to participation at our events (I'm throwing the glove down to our other geographic sections to be our attendance and I hope they do!). With that in mind, I would fully support helping Seth get a ride out to participate in our event. Perhaps this would lay the fondation for Seth attending an event each year in other areas. I can't speak for the rest, but I certainly hope this sparks more dilogue. Having Seth attend on a personal level would be great. Also, I think his contributions to the list have saved a lot of folks time and money (read money and money) and I hope we collectively recognize that having him come out would be a win/win. Anyone has loads of frequent flyer miles? Even purchasing a ticket wouldn't be that big a deal is we all pitched in.

In case you didnt' notice, I'm all for it!

shaun

mark reed

Member III
Seth!

I second Shaun's nomination of Seth as special invited guest to the rendezvous. Seth has contributed boundless energy, experience, and knowledge to our discussions on sail trim, equipment, etc. and probably knows more about Ericsons than any of the other guest speakers we have considered. I would be glad to accomodate him on our boat, and to pitch in for his airfare.

mark reed

Member III
Seth is already busy June 17-18

Seth just checked his calendar and can't make it, due to a prior commitment at a Chicago regatta. Guess we'll have to wait for next year if we want to bring him out.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Wish I could make it

Guys,

Thanks for the invite-and I am truly sorry I cannot escape my racing committments for that weekend. Believe me when I say Iwill be thinkng of all of you that weekend!
Derek would certainly be a very good guest, and with some "priming", my guess is that he could give a talk that most of the group will get a lot out of...

Again-thanks to all of you for thinking of me-I'll be thinking of you!
Cheers,

S

Stuart

Member II
sail trim

Seth

I was looking forward to finally learning to trim and sail the boat properly. We will have a race of sorts at the rendezvous if that helps. Perhaps you could put us down for next year and we will figure out how to make it work. As a side note, thanks for all the posts and info you have put up on the site, I have read and benefited from it.:)

Cheers

wurzner

Member III
4 months and counting to saturday night of the ericson rendez vous. I can't wait to see you all there!

shaun
too many boats (but at least they are ericsons!)

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Sidney is basically our stomping (sailing grounds). Sidney North Saanich Yacht club would be a great place for the first stop ( free overnight moorage)
dinner in the club (your wife will not have to cook) Customs for US visitors at Sidney or Bedwell Harbour (that's the way we spell it). Ask we any question about the area and I will be glad to answer. It is possible to get a race commitee around here, let me know we will set it up

Cordially yours Chas and Judi SV EDEN E30+

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hi all, thought we should start some planning and looking into hotels ect. We will be driving over from Spokane. Any recommendations on Hotels, B & B's in the Sydney area and such from you West Coast folks?

Thanks,

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We are signed up, also

We're booked in as of today.
They have assigned us to slip C-24. CN$45.90 per night plus $4. for electricy plus 7% tax. :eek:
That marina must be paved with gold!
I do hope that the local YC will grant us a further night of reciprocity...
:rolleyes:

At least now I shall stop complaining about the guest rates at Shillshole.

<sigh>

Loren

hodo

Member III
just wondering

Does one need to call ahead to North Saanich to make reservations for the night before, or is it first come.....? Do they need our yacht club afilliation? Sounds like a good place to have a Pre-rendevouz party! Have you got a contact # for them ? Harold :devil:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have recently exchanged some emails with an officer of SNSYC and confirmed that my club is on their recips list. It sounds like a tie-up for a night is possible, but will depend completely on availability. [We can only afford a few nights at the spendy marina, so I do hope that we can use our recips at some area clubs.]

So, Harold, you need to check your club's list of reciprocal's. For us, this will (if they have room for us) be the first time we personally participate in this ancient YC tradition since we joined in '92. :cool:

I have been crew on other boats where we stayed without cost for a night, and our club hosts a number of boats each summer.

Good luck,

Loren in Portland, OR

Last edited:

maggie-k

Member II
For those who don't need a dock there is fine anchoring ground in Tsehum Harbor just around the corner from Port Sydney as well The Royal Victoria Yacht Club has an out station there and it is the home of the Capital City Yacht club.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
To Sidney? To Sidney!

We reserved a slip for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. D-7.
We're looking forward to seeing everyone.

I asked Rachel for a count and she says about 25 boats so far.

Now I gotta find a horny helmet, a shield and a sword. And maybe get a tattoo of Brunhilde ... she was a blonde, :unsure: right?

Richard Elliott

Member III
Sidney Spit

My only experience there was year before last in a strong (20K+) SE wind. Wind strength and direction coupled with shallow water created very uncomfortable wave action which lasted all night. We must have had poor timing as I know the marine park is very popular with locals. E34 "Chandelle".

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
We're set...

Meeta just set the reservation - so we'll see you all in Sidney!

//sse

RON CARTER

Member I
2006 Rendevouz

We have booked in to C 21 planning to arrive Thur June 15, staying thru to Sunday departure June 18. We met Graham Cole at the Vancouver Boat Show in Feb and looking forward to picking his brain on Chartplotter installation.....also need some ideas on cabin floor renewal/replace..... Ron & Joanne Carter Ericson 35-3 1983 "Azgard" Hey! I hope beer is not the only drink allowed at Ericson rendevouz.... Looking forward to meeting all..