anybody else have 1-1/4 inch waste outlet thru-hull?

davisr

Member III
I recently removed the original waste outlet through-hull. It is is 1-1/4 inches. The norm, I believe, is 1-1/2 inches. At any rate, on my boat someone in the past used a reducing coupling to join the toilet's 1-1/2 waste hose to the 1-1/4 valve on the 1-1/4 through-hull. Not sure why they would have installed a 1-1/4 inch through-hull in the head, even back in 1975, because the Raritan PH head from that era had a 1-1/2 discharge port just as the present day Raritan PHII does.

I'm thinking it would be smart, while I'm doing all this, to enlarge the hole slightly and install a 1-1/2 inch through-hull, in order to make my new PHII more happy, and thus me too.

Anyone else performed the same procedure?

Thanks,
Roscoe

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Roscoe, are you sure there is a reducing coupling? A 1 1/2 ID hose from the head would connect to a thru hull that is 1 1/2 OD that is actually about 1 1/4 ID.

davisr

Member III
Tim,

I thought that there was a flexible reducing coupling on the nasty hose I threw away. Maybe I'm just imagining this to account for my measuring errors (or West Marine's)

The through-hull on the left in this picture measures 1-1/2 OD, 1-1/4 ID. I recently took it to West Marine to compare it to new ones. Mine matched one that I grabbed from the 1-1/4 inch bin. I guess they could have mislabled the bin. I've seen this before. There was, though, another bin with larger through-hulls labeled "1-1/2"

So, a 1-1/2 OD through-hull (which is what I have) is in fact what is marketed as a "1-1/2 in through hull"? Is that correct? Sounds like it. I've just checked the hoses in the West Marine catalog. It says that they have 1-1/2 ID.

Thanks,
Roscoe

Attachments

• E25ThruHullsPicture002.jpg
    E25ThruHullsPicture002.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 58

davisr

Member III
Okay, I believe I've solved this riddle, and I'll pass along the solution to other Ericson owners who may also have 1-1/4 inch through-hulls.

A through-hull that measures 1-1/2 OD and 1-1/4 ID is officially known as a "1-1/4 through-hull." This is what Ericson installed in my E25 in 1975.

A "1-1/4 through-hull" requires what is called a "1-1/4 valve" or, more commonly now, a "1-1/4 seacock." I took a look today at the old valve, which I recently discarded. It was indeed labeled "1-1/4."

Atop the valve or seacock there needs to be what is called a "1-1/4 tail piece" or "1-1/4 pipe-hose adaptor." The "tail piece" or "pipe-hose adaptor" has barbs on one. It's onto these barbs, of course, that the sanitation hose is clamped. Here's where the trouble begins. Normally, this barbed section of the "tail piece" or "pipe-hose adaptor" is narrower than the threaded section on the other end - about 1/4 inch narrower. This means that the interior size of the standard "1-1/4 tail piece" or 1-1/4 pipe hose adaptor" is reduced from 1-1/4 inches to 1 inch. This reduction or tapering is necessary for the fitting of the hose onto the barbs. A hose is measured by its interior dimensions. Thus, 1-1/4 inch hose would not fit onto a 1-1/4 inch tail piece or pipe hose adaptor unless one end were tapered. While all of this fits together nicely, the fact remains that there is one section of this system where the all of the waste must pass through a narrow, 1 inch funnel of sorts. If I may say so, this appears to be a system ripe with problems.

You can more easily avoid these problems by starting things off with a 1-1/2 inch through-hull. On top of this you would place a 1-1/2 inch seacock, followed by a 1-1/2 inch tail piece or pipe hose adaptor. If, however, you used a standard barbed tail piece or pipe hose adaptor you would still have a narrow part in your system. Your 1-1/2 inch interior size would be reduced to 1-1/4 inch. This reduction would be necessary for fitting the 1-1/2 inch ID sanitation hose onto the barbs.

The problem of the narrowing of the tail piece or pipe hose adaptor can be avoided, of course, by using a full flow pipe hose adaptor such as those made by Groco. Full flow adaptors do indeed have barbs, but they do not taper. In other words, a 1-1/4 inch full flow pipe hose adaptor is 1-1/4 inches ID from one end to the other. This means that on the barbed end, you are able to use a 1-1/2 inch ID sanitation hose. This is good, because 1-1/2 inches ID is, of course, the standard size for sanitation hoses. It's also good because most toilets and most holding tanks have 1-1/2 ID connections.

Summary 1:

1-1/4 through hulls and 1-1/4 seacocks are appropriate for standard 1-1/2 sanitation hoses and 1-1/2 toilet outlets and holding tank inlets as long as you use a 1-1/4 full flow pipe hose adaptor.

Summary 2:

1-1/2 through-hulls and 1-1/2 inch seacocks are preferable because they provide a wider passage at the waste outlet end of the system. There are, however, 1-1/4 inch ID passages within the system. The tail piece or pipe hose adaptor, for instance will be 1-1/4 inches ID. Also the waste outlet on the toilet will be 1-1/4 ID, because the 1-1/2 ID hose must be able to fit around it. It seems there is no way to avoid these narrow points. You could use a full flow pipe hose adaptor, but that would require a larger sanitation hose than 1-1/2 inches ID. This would create other problems in terms of joining the hose to the toilet and holding tank.

Am I on the mark with this analysis, or have I wandered far off course?

Thanks for the help,
Roscoe