• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Atomic 4 Died. What next?

frick

Member III
I have been watching on YouTube, Sailing Uma. They have put together a complete electric boat using an ocean volt drive a huge supply of high tech batteries

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Screenshot_20220226-144438~2.png

Oceanvolt Saildrive: $43,000, equiv to 30-45 HP, 8 hour charge time, 25(!) NM range.

Makes me like my Kubota more and more. ;)

marsmen

The water jacket stud replacement kit from Moyer Marine is VERY easy to install. Each kit will replace two studs, so go ahead and do all eight for piece of mind. Ken at Moyer is a font of information not only about the parts, but also about the details of the installation - and he loves to talk about these engines. I can't say enough good things about Moyer Marine.

steven

Sustaining Member
but how do you get the juice from the genset to the motor ? direct through AC-DC, like a shore power converter ? Through the batteries ?

Parrothead

Member III
There's a thread with pictures on the Moyer forum right now about a boat transiting the ICW with an A-4. It threw a rod putting a hole in the side of the block. After stuffing a rag in the hole to mitigate the oil splash and cabin smoke it still ran, well enough to make 4.5 knots and make it to a safe anchorage.

Katie Jennings

Member I
Thanks everyone!

I got the water jacket side plate refit kit from Ken at Moyer Marine; we installed it; e voila! No more leak. Thanks everyone for your encouragement and ideas for options. I can imagine doing the electric overhaul and/or the outboard if this fix doesn't hold. In the meantime we have another summer of sailing ahead.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I can imagine doing the electric overhaul and/or the outboard if this fix doesn't hold.
Nice job! And why wouldn't it hold? The previous one lasted 51 years!

Something else will break in a season or three, but you'll likely be able to fix that just the same. Don't know why people lean so readily toward "I should replace it," rather than just getting their hands a little dirty every now and then.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
My old E27 weighed 5500lbs and the 9.9HP got it to hull speed at half throttle. The twin cylinder engine runs smooth and quiet. Great for longer motors. It also had electric and a pull start. Pull start was invaluable at times.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
There are way cheaper ways to repower with electric than the Oceanvolt saildrive quoted above. Good for Dan and Kika for having a used Oceanvolt gifted to them then having Oceanvolt help them out when there were mechanical issues with the gifted unit. They went from one end of the ($) spectrum to the other. There may be someone here whose name begins with P that can attest to a less expensive way to repower with electric ;-)

Kevin A Wright

Member III
If the engine is running well - good compression, etc. I'd think replacing that water jacket plate is the way to go. If for some reason the engine itself is shot (bad rings, bearings, etc). Then you can either repower with a rebuilt A4 or put in a diesel.

The problem with repowering with an A4 is you still have an A4. You will get 3 to 4 times the range with the same amount of diesel as with an A4 and don't have to worry about the boat blowing up. But you need to look at how long you plan to sail that boat to decide if it is worth it.

I repowered my E35 with an Beta 30 about a year and a half ago. Engine was $13 to $14 K in the crate with upgraded instrument panel. I hired a local mechanic to do the install for $7k, but that was a mistake since he never finished the job. Also should note there was about a 5 month delay in delivery of the Beta due to Covid backlogs. But it finally got here and sure is pretty.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

kapnkd

kapnkd
The original Atomic 4 engine on our E29 has developed a leak in the salt water cooling system - a damaged bolt in the side plate that our mechanic doesn't dare to touch in case it renders the engine entirely useless. For now, the leak is a dribble, but we don't dare go on a summer cruise in case it turns into a gush along the way.

Called around re: repowering. The beta marine rep says about $28K to put in a new engine, and he doesn't do rebuilds any more because it's too expensive. No way we're spending that much! Got an estimate for an electric repower @ $15K. Tempting, but still this is triple our initial investment in the boat. An outboard would probably be more like $6-7K. Maybe an option. Either that, or sell to someone who likes to tinker with mechanics.

Have I missed anything?

Has anyone gone the outboard route? I wonder if this would fix my two least favorite things about the 29 -- the constant pull to port while motoring and the complete inability to steer in reverse? Or maybe it would introduce new/different problems related to weight and balance?

Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom on this board!
My only experiences with an OB “Cast Iron Jib” was with my Catalina 22. Biggest problems I can recall back then (early 70’s) was cavitation in anything over 4’ and plus seas.

Fortunately for me…I quickly became mechanically inclined out of $$$ necessity as a teen and owning my first car. (Dad’s wise efforts at teaching me responsibilities and more.) …My decided purchase of a toolbox full of tools and learning has saved me countless dollars and frustration over the years in more ways than you can imagine!

…Fast forward to my purchasing my then new E-32 in’73. As a VERY critical budget minded 29 year old, EVERYTHING was done by me, especially including anything mechanical.

I pulled our A-4 out & back in myself, with the then help of 3 body building ‘gorillas’ back in ‘83, from where I worked, for a then much needed rebuild from the raw salt water cooling system. (These guys - using a barbell pole - actually carried the old engine up and out of the boat dockside to a waiting pickup truck like it wasn’t even there!!!)

Years later (early 90’s) after moving to Michigan, the A-4 was once again sadly dying from salt water usage. This time, I pulled and replaced it with a diesel (AGAIN WITH THE HELP OF FRIENDS AT MY BOAT CLUB) …and have had absolutely no regrets to date.

Moral of my story, …DO reconsider ALL your unthought of options, and then speaking with - and not being hesitant in asking or relying on your friends/fellow boaters or car enthusiasts to tackle your problems.

You’ve got a GREAT community of “E - Sailors” here, as I have found, to also get you through it all as well!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The problem with repowering with an A4 is you still have an A4. You will get 3 to 4 times the range with the same amount of diesel as with an A4 and don't have to worry about the boat blowing up.
Unless you are cooking with propane. In that case, you have to worry about it as much as if you have an A4--which is to say, not much if your systems are properly installed and well maintained.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I suspect that "3 to 4 times the range" is over stating things by a factor of about 2.
My biggest concern with the A4 is the dependence for spare parts and knowledge on two small family businesses that may not last forever.
(These guys - using a barbell pole - actually carried the old engine up and out of the boat dockside to a waiting pickup truck like it wasn’t even there!!!)

LOL, I actually thought of that at some point... "The engine weighs around 300 lbs. I can deadlift 300 lbs... is there a way to rig that up without breaking myself?" (Probably not.) FWIW, I have rolled the "spare" engine (still available!) around with an appliance dolly.

kapnkd

kapnkd
I suspect that "3 to 4 times the range" is over stating things by a factor of about 2.
My biggest concern with the A4 is the dependence for spare parts and knowledge on two small family businesses that may not last forever.

LOL, I actually thought of that at some point... "The engine weighs around 300 lbs. I can deadlift 300 lbs... is there a way to rig that up without breaking myself?" (Probably not.) FWIW, I have rolled the "spare" engine (still available!) around with an appliance dolly.
As for A-4 parts: It’s been quite a while since I converted to diesel so am not to sure of what the parts situation truly is anymore.

At the time, as I had understood, the A-4 was also very similar/akin to an engine used on forklifts. The carburetor I believe was also shared with other engines and part kits were readily available from most auto part stores. I always kept a fresh rebuild kit on hand when I went cruising.

A new block, head or crankshaft would be difficult to come by but the rest of it may just cross reference out with some serious detective/Internet searching.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yes, all the bolt-on parts: carbs, pumps, belts, etc. were "off the shelf" items and with enough work you can find them. Although Moyer and Indigo have had some custom designs made for some things. The problem is going into an auto parts store, you get a pimply faced kid who says, "Sorry, I can't sell you a 14-inch belt. I can only sell you a belt for a specific car that's in my computer." "I can't sell you a rebuild kit for a Zenith carbureter, I can only sell you a part for a specific car that's in my computer."

paul culver

Member III
"Sorry, I can't sell you a 14-inch belt. I can only sell you a belt for a specific car that's in my computer."

So true! I ran into that recently getting new spark plugs for my A4.