E27 Bowsprit Upgrade!

716Ericson27

Lake Erie Viking
My 1976 E27, in it's 45 years of existence, never had the privilege of any sort of spinnaker setup. Which left a nice blank canvas for deciding whether to go with a traditional symmetrical spinnaker setup or asymmetrical. After much thought and consideration I decided to go with the asymmetrical and put the effort into finding and installing a proper bowsprit rather then pole, track, topping lift, guys, etc. required for the symmetrical. Well here you have it. An E27 with a retractable bowsprit! Still have not had the opportunity to fly the spinnaker, but was too excited to not share ahead of its working load test. Hopefully the pictures will explain themselves, but if anyone has any questions or thoughts I can provide more detail. Bowsprit is made by Sparcraft / Facnor

Attachments

• IMG_4594.jpg
    IMG_4594.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4596.jpg
    IMG_4596.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4598.jpg
    IMG_4598.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4601.jpg
    IMG_4601.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4603.jpg
    IMG_4603.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5043.JPG
    IMG_5043.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5044.JPG
    IMG_5044.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5045.JPG
    IMG_5045.JPG
    719.6 KB · Views: 45

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Nice! What have you decided on for sail handling? I added a retractable sprit on my E27 and use a furler for the asymmetrical. I highly recommend it especially if you single-hand much. With the furler it is just another headsail.

716Ericson27

Lake Erie Viking
I acquired a sock for it for now. In the future I may consider a furler system as I would like to make it easier to single hand.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
My 1976 E27, in it's 45 years of existence, never had the privilege of any sort of spinnaker setup. Which left a nice blank canvas for deciding whether to go with a traditional symmetrical spinnaker setup or asymmetrical. After much thought and consideration I decided to go with the asymmetrical and put the effort into finding and installing a proper bowsprit rather then pole, track, topping lift, guys, etc. required for the symmetrical. Well here you have it. An E27 with a retractable bowsprit! Still have not had the opportunity to fly the spinnaker, but was too excited to not share ahead of its working load test. Hopefully the pictures will explain themselves, but if anyone has any questions or thoughts I can provide more detail. Bowsprit is made by Sparcraft / Facnor
Bowsprit is made by Sparcraft / Facnor
I would like to look into adding a bowsprit to my E-30, please post additional information.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I hope we will see an update before long, with pictures of it in use, and notes about other details!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There's More than one way to add a "sprit" for flying that A-sail.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Just to put it out there. How about no bowsprit! I didn't want to change the look of my boat or incur the expense. So I attach the A-sail tack to a big soft shackle on the bow with a 4:1 led aft. I ease the tack to jibe and drop. Works pretty well! The A-sail is my go to when single handing.