• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Broken Spreader Bracket

Getting ready to step the mast today and what the hell, broken spreader bracket (not sure if that is the official name but the bracket that bolts to the mast that the spreaders attach to). I think it was likely broken through mishandeling during the mast take down last fall rather than fatigue.

For those not familiar with the E27 bracket assembly - It has a bracket on either side of the mast. Both brackets are held on by a single bolt through the mast at the bottom of the bracket. The top of each bracket is held on by a large machine screw. The brackets then have a foil shaped sleeve that the spreaders slide over and then through bolt themselves. So the brackets are supported in 2 places - the top and the bottom.

Anyway a couple of questions for the Ericson Yachts brain trust.

Any thoughts on sourcing a replacement? I'm planning on checking rig-rite but interested in all ideas for a quick replacement?

Anyone know of any extra original parts laying around (Florida perhaps)?

It looks like this part is cast aluminum. Can anyone confirm?

What are the thoughts on welding the broken piece back together. My thoughts are that this would be a bad idea and a good way to lose the rig later on. I'm not real sure how the stress affects this bracket. Since only the top (center) shroud is supported by the spreader I'm thinking most of the loading/flexing is up and down rather than fore and aft so maybe welding the old part is ok?

Thoughts?

SMLROD

Member II
Same thing happened to me on my E23 this spring. Sounds like the same set also. I had a welder fix it and it has been fine so far. He had a bit a of a time trying get the inside curve right but it has been holding together fine.

Rod
"Second Wind"
Smith Mountain Lake,VA

crznhwy1

Member II
same thing here

I had the same thing happen to me when I took my mast down. I broke the bracket while removing it from the mast. I could not find a replacement anywhere. So I've had it welded and will be putting everything back up this summer. Hopefully it will hold!

Mike

Emerald

One of the brackets on my prior E-27 had been welded, looked like it had been done many years prior to my ownership, and I believe did the next owner OK also. The loads on this should be mostly compression, so shear is not as important as one might at first think. Obviously, if you can find a solid one, go for it, but I think a competent welder can repair this for you.

davisr

Member III
Island Girl,

I think it might be a good idea if you follow the first link that Loren has provided and follow the link (within that link) that Rob Hessenius provided regarding the dismasting incident he experienced in his E25. It was because of Rob's story that I carefully examined my own E25 brackets and discovered that one of them had cracked at some point in the past. The weld marks indicated a quick fix by a PO. A friend of mine, who is a professional marine welder, told me that any aluminum joint that is welded ends up being weaker than the aluminum itself. With this in mind I plan to replace my brackets with the same brand recommended by Rob. I'd rather pay the $150-$200 for the replacement parts than suffer a dismasting.

Roscoe

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have a spreader bracket with the weld in it too. Also have some dimples in the mast which probably happened when the bracket broke. I contacted Buzz Ballenger who recommended a new spreader and thru-bar assembly (as well as a mast sleeve to help support the dimpled area). I am having him make these up. Might be worth a phone call to him.

Doug

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Doug,

Is he using your old spreaders or making new ones? Sounds like new, do you know if they are airfoil or round profile?

How much is he charging?

Has he started making them? I'd like to go down to his shop to check them out before they ship.

Thanks all for the replies. I'm back from the lake and just now examining all of the info. Time is of the essences and I was still hoping to launch this week hower not at the expense of a potential dismasting later in the season. The new spreaders option obviously sounds best. Did the holes in the mast line up with the holes on the new brackets (particularly the hole that also supports the lower shrouds)?

davisr

Member III
It's interesting that on this thread we are discussing spreader bracket failure and on the thread that follows there is talk of what can happen should a chainplate fail. On the subject of rigging failure in general (be it from spreader brackets, chainplates, and other essential pieces of the system) I thought everyone might benefit from this link to an article by Capt Neil Haynes of Charleston, SC that addresses the issue of dismasting.

Roscoe

http://www.boatsurveyor.com/Articles/rigging.htm

Emerald

any aluminum joint that is welded ends up being weaker than the aluminum itself.

This is very true, and one of the classic failures after welding will be a crack right next to the weld. All sorts of things (not necessarily good) happen to metal when you weld it. So, it is obviously the best choice to replace with new if at all possible. This said, if for some odd reason you can't replace it, a welded piece may, and I stress may, be OK. This gets into a difficult decision that can only be made by the welder, the owner, and an evaluation of skill, equipment (huge potential differences in weld from mig to tig etc coupled with the skill of the welder, especially tig.) and fitness for use. I can't answer any of these questions for you, but there are options, the best being new.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Mark- Buzz quoted me 575 which includes tapered spreaders, spreader bar, and the doublers for the dimple repair. There will be some additional for anodizing. I have to talk to him tomorrow to make sure he has all the information he needs from me. He said 2-3 week turnaround. If you do stop by when they are under construction, let me know how they look!

Doug

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
"If you do stop by when they are under construction, let me know how they look!"

Will do.

Walter Pearson

Member III
Spreader Bracket

If a welded bracket is used, I think it's a good idea to check just how flush both brackets are with the mast surface. One of my brackets failed under sail. Fortunately conditions were not too bad and the result was only a dangling spreader. I did have it welded, and was planning to reinstall the brackets. That's when I noticed how each bracket would rock on the mast surface and very likely would be stressed just due to the two fasteners involved. I wonder whether this is a common condition and the reason for some of the failures. I waxed the mast and cast some filled epoxy underneath to obtain a flush fit.

I realize that ideally these brackets should see only a thrust load between spreader and mast, but in actual conditions, I'll bet there are some other forces coming into play. I never got comfortable with those cast brackets and made a pair from stainless plate.

Walter Pearson
'76 E27

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Doug,

I stopped by Ballengers a couple of days ago. They had just gotten the tapered spreaders for your project and had not started the brackets/collar yet. If I'm down there next week I'll stop in again. I'm always looking for a excuse to snoop around his factory, there are always so many cool things to look at!

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Mark! Looking forward to getting them and focusing on the next phase of the project.

Doug

fearlu

E27 Spreader mount-bracket?

Does anyone know where one might find the cast aluminum part that allows the spreader to mount onto the mast for a '71 E27? I have one that has failed and haven't been able to replace it locally. Any leads would be most helpful!

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'll have a couple of them available in a month or so. I need to keep them around until I get my new spreaders installed in case I need them to make any measurements. Contact me back channel if you want to reserve one.

Doug

fearlu

Let me know when they become available and if I haven't solved it by then I can let you know. Thanks!