• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27- Replacement for Original Raritan Head?

BobB

Member II
My 1974 E27 has a manual Raritan head that is original equipment, as far as I know. I've fixed it several times, but its days are limited, and I'd like to replace it with a new head. Does anyone know if there are any manual heads sold by West Marine or other that fit directly into the existing bolt holes used by the Raritan? Advice welcomed and thank you.

Bob

Czech Mate

Member II
I have a 1975 E32-2 and replaced my Raritan head with a new Raritan unit, I believe two seasons ago. Replacement was pretty easy and bolt holes lined up perfectly. Only modification needed was to shorten the pump handle because it stuck out a little too far and made access difficult. Don't remember where I purchased the unit or cost but can look back in my paperwork if you're interested.

Bill

BobB

Member II
I have a 1975 E32-2 and replaced my Raritan head with a new Raritan unit, I believe two seasons ago. Replacement was pretty easy and bolt holes lined up perfectly. Only modification needed was to shorten the pump handle because it stuck out a little too far and made access difficult. Don't remember where I purchased the unit or cost but can look back in my paperwork if you're interested.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks. I just viewed the Raritan webpage and believe I see the model you're referring to. I have to make a stop at WM today, so I'll see if they have it and find its specs. If it isn't a major inconvenience, would you please check your paperwork and let me know the details of your purchase? Again, thanks!

Bob

Last edited:

Czech Mate

Member II
Bob:

I couldn't find the paperwork or receipt for the unit. I suspect it is someplace on the boat which is about 2 1/2 hours away. If I recall correctly I think the unit was a Raritan PHII. I shopped for the best price on the internet and West Marine matched it. Ended up saving a nice chunk of change and was able to pick it up locally.

Bill

Mindscape

Member III
Phii

I replaced the original with the PHII (which was the same unit as the original). did the same thing as Bill, saved some $$. If you keep all the same hoses pretty simple job. I did this 4 years ago and have have no issues since. Good luck and I hope all the hoses come off 'cleanly', there can be some unpleasant smells involved:esad:

BobB

Member II
I replaced the original with the PHII (which was the same unit as the original). did the same thing as Bill, saved some $$. If you keep all the same hoses pretty simple job. I did this 4 years ago and have have no issues since. Good luck and I hope all the hoses come off 'cleanly', there can be some unpleasant smells involved:esad:

My E27 had the original Raritan Compact head, not a PHII. I gave a call to Raritan tech support and opted to replace with their Compact II. This will require a small bit of work: tapping new bolt holes, filling old ones, and adding new supply and waste lines, but (on paper) it seems manageable. BTW, I have had nothing but good experiences with Raritan, the company. In seeking parts for the old Compact, I have called them on several occasions, and they always were willing to help find the part (usually in their Fl warehouse). Ditto with their tech support: helpful and polite. I wish all companies were as helpful.

BobB

Member II
Follow up: easy

I thought it would be nice to add a follow up note about the upgrade. It was very straightforward upgrading from a '74 Raritan Compact head to a new Compact II. The new one required two new holes in the fiberglass for the rightmost hold-down bolts, ca. 2.5 ft of new 3/4" sanitary flex pvc, some towels, and maybe 3 hours of my time.