E29 thru hull valve

desdemona

I have to replace one of my cockpit drain 1 1/4 marelon ball valve atached to a thru-hull.
I found a stainless steel ball valve, which seems to be very good. my question is: could I use the stainless steel valve on a brass thru hull or will that cause galvanic corrosion???

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is the existing thruhull fitting a *bronze* threaded fitting? I would vote for a new Forespar Marlon (tm) or bronze ball valve. I agree that you could get some potential corrosion in a salt water environment using a stainless valve. Did you use the word brass unintentionally? Brass should never be used below the water line. (or in any internal plumbing carrying sea water, either (imho).
Loren
ps: (Please see my short article in the "projects" part of this site for a picture of one of the newer Forespar Marlon seacocks, btw)

desdemona

E29 THRU HULL

Yes I used the word *brass* unintentionally, the threaded thru hull is bronze and I was thinking to install a stainless steel ball valve. Do you think there will be a problem with electrolisis with the two metals??