E32 Mainsheet Refit, 4:1 or 5:1? or...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As budget allows, change those forward solid axel blocks over to ball bearing types (if they are not, already) -- every 90 degree direction change adds some measurable resistance.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Nice looking rig. Makes me want to add to the to-do list another problem I didn't even realize I had.

Last edited:

vanilladuck

E32-3 / San Francisco
Blogs Author
Another update from Rumour outside The Slot:
I got the 7/16" NE Sta Set line and made my own eyesplice. I'm pretty new to splicing and although there are numerous videos which help teach, I'm really liking Reed's Splicing Handbook as a point reference. It's got a cool name and anything to help keep my laptop screen closed when I'm working on the boat is a good thing ;)

PXL_20210203_040106167.jpg

I bought a couple more blocks to get rid of the original 1980s era Schaefer blocks with bushings. Fiddle blocks and under boom single block are Garhauer with ball bearings. I removed the double under the gooseneck and went diagonally down to the mast deck plate and through a Harken 60mm Element before going through the original deck organizer. I'll probably replace the deck organizers eventually. The Element line uses a journal bearing, but is small enough to not get fouled on the middle deck hatch aft of the mast.

PXL_20210206_232004630.jpg

Field tested this weekend in 1-18kts of wind. I noticed:
  1. Super low friction. The main sheet will let out with even just a few knots of wind.
  2. I'm able to sheet in mostly by hand in 10-12kts of wind and easy winching above that.
  3. The new green line just makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over.
Incidentally, this completes my first pass at color-coding my running rigging.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 1.38.11 PM.png

Last edited: