• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Galley Changes

Gaviate

Member III
Well as a general rule for me, NPT fittings are ALWAYS assembled with Harvey Seal, or some other approved thread seal paste for propane gas. Once the adapter fitting from NPT to flare is installed, you can do without thread seal for flare connections. If the NPT threads are such that no air (gas) tight connection can be achieved then time to replace, or re-cut.
Try assembly as is, then test for leaks with electronic gas sniffer, you may get lucky but failing that, me thinks the last resort is your best option.
If there is a machine shop near you, they may be able to cut and re-thread. Our local Home Depot routinely cuts and threads gas pipe (black iron) but your tube may be to small for such a machine.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I'd feel better about cutting threads in brass or aluminum than in iron.

Ace hardware usually sells a good variety of Irwin dies, including NPT sizes. I'd probably rather spring for a quality die and wrench in the size I needed rather than buy a whole set of cheap stuff I won't use.

Also, even though the existing threads are bad, I might leave the last one or two threads showing then saw off the outer threads. The old threads might help you get the die seated squarely, which might be the hardest part about cutting new threads by hand.

Screenshot_20220410-182552.png

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yes aluminum is easy (and easy to mess up) but they cut black iron pipe just fine. I've done lots. Including the main propane line in the greenhouse.
Hmm... they don't even seem to have the set that I've got any more. I guess there isn't much non-farm call for larger sizes.
image_25396.jpg

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
This is turning into a typical boat project (3x longer, 3x more $$). The Force 10 inlet pipe is stainless steel NOT aluminum. Removing it requires dismantling the entire stove, so with great effort I was able to chase new threads with the pipe in situ. These were no were no better than the old ones, so it was back to square one. When the stove attacked me in retaliation for the abuse I capitulated and gave the whole thing up. I ripped the heat shield and stove brackets out and hauled them and the stove out of the boat, never to return.
5337AFB0-CCFD-4A45-A356-D866A2342BE9.jpeg 296178F7-948D-47C2-9EFF-FE0F04E2363A_1_201_a.jpeg 5C5D2F4E-687A-4817-8100-A6132CA16DEB.jpeg

There is quite a cavernous space where the stove used to be. Creating usable storage and a spot for the Origo 3000 is the next challenge. I will pull heavily from the idea shown in the video in this thread: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/origo-stove-may-be-back-in-production.19722/page-2#post-155269

C04B5E49-DC99-4707-84DA-09ED483794DD.jpeg

One of the ideas I am experimenting with is a sliding countertop to cover the eventual space that will hold the Origo. Looks like the E34 has this and other models may as well. I am hoping that someone with this feature can post up some pictures or a description of the inner workings. Does it store vertical? Thanks in advance.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pretty simple, even elegant.

The Formica-topped board nests firmly, thanks to its fiddle. It lifts up easily, to be slid (caused to slide?) behind the stove, held near vertical by a strategically placed guide dowel. No further attachment.

When the cover is on, the stove needs to be secured in its gimbals. Otherwise as the boat rolls the stove swings and tosses the top across the cabin.

A ERicson 381 ('84) galley.JPG....B  Ericson 381 ('84) galley2-001.JPG

Last edited:

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
A bit late but on a previous boat swapping the pressurized alcohol stove for an Origo let me put 4X220AH 6V batteries in the space below. This was a very heavy "classic" and trim wasn't affected at all. I wouldn't do it on my 35-2.

Attachments

• 20210517_140931.jpg
    20210517_140931.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 21

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Pretty simple, even elegant.
Thank you Christian. That is much simpler than I was envisioning. The dowel is the critical part I wouldn't have though of. Does the back end of the board rest on the hull? My sliding cover will probably not be long enough for that but stops should be easy to install.

6V batteries in the space below.
Good use of space. Do you find that the gimbals work well with the stove?

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Good use of space. Do you find that the gimbals work well with the stove?
Yes, they did the job. Worth the money. Pot holders are a must. Being so light its a little "twitchy". I made a shelf below so it could rest on its own bottom when at anchor/alongside.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for all the photos and ideas. I started the design and renovation of the galley area. I'm making this up as I go along, but the idea is to have something close to a factory look whilst improving the useful storage area.

Rough mockup of the new stove shelf and interior storage areas.
C04B5E49-DC99-4707-84DA-09ED483794DD.jpeg 5D7C6E82-C347-4F25-931D-87FE4882F6C2.jpeg

Templating for the cabinet front/interior storage areas and painting the hull
91531D41-DC55-42BC-A303-378BCB97D759.jpeg 2D670F90-061F-4F3E-87FC-67B900338DAF.jpeg

Storage areas cut out, painted and installed
74B9A260-2014-4D5B-987A-E2E7B4EE24CD.jpeg 76995679-DDAC-4457-B367-8DE6B5B2D6A1.jpeg

More as it gets built. Last time I did this on my E27 in 2010 I had a full woodworking shop. Now I am reduced to a portable table saw and hand tools. They say it's not the tools that make a good craftsman, but I'm not sure about that. I'm already struggling and the truly detailed work is yet to come.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
"They say it's not the tools that make a good craftsman" Ha! I remember early in my construction career a contractor that I admired for his carpentry skills said when talking about tools to buy, "You can tell a good golfer by the number of irons he carries." ;-)