• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gas primary water separating fuel filter on diesel

simdim

Member II
Folks,
Just bought a '79 e29 that was converted to diesel from gas (in '87) and discovered that water separating fuel filter clearly states "gas only" -Racor S3213. Previous owner who had her for 6 years never changed the filter - should i worry? Should I replace it with appropriate made for diesel filter or keep it as is?

Cheers,

Simon

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would trust Racor's engineering and R&D on this, and change to diesel fuel-certified components.

Loren

ps: where is "Ada"?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Simon,
In prowling around the Parker web site, I can find your filter, but no real tech info.
http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...rt=no&vgnextrefresh=1&proSear=s3213&Submit=GO

I have tried their site before and maybe it's just me, but it seems like one of the harder-to-navigate ones on the whole darned 'net!
:rolleyes:

I do believe that it would be worth your time to just spend the dime(s) and call up someone who deals with this stuff for *both* marine gas and diesel engines, like John Featherman.
http://www.feathermanenterprises.com/
I bought fuel system parts from him for my diesel, saved a lot of money over unhelpful local dealers, and found him to be pleasant and helpful on the phone.
If you have a local "oil filter service" company in your fair city, they are often a great source of Racor and related product info, as well.

Cheers,
Loren

simdim

Member II
Loren,
Thank you for the links - i had filed them for the future.
I had called Racor tech support (1-800-344-3286) and they are saying that S3213 filter will work with gas or diesel equally well. This will make my life more simple since all I need to do now is to change a spin on.

Cheers,

Simon