• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Got Design Questions?

Roger

Member II
I can speak for the later Ericsons, from the early 80's on. The 26, 28, 30+, 32-3, 33RH, 34, 35-3, 36RH & 38/381/38-200 all had external, bolted on lead keels, although based on another thread the 26 initially had an internal keel until around '87 or '88. AFAIK, most (if not all) of the earlier models had internal keels.

Slightly off topic, but maybe of interest to someone out there - the "lead" external keels are not pure lead, which is quite soft. A small percentage of antimony is added, which hardens the lead considerably while reducing the density of the keel only slightly.

PDX

Member III
Shoal draft vs deep keel options

Many of the 1980s Ericsons mentioned, those with external ballast, had shoal or deep keel options. The 1970s Ericsons did not. I'm speculating here, but I suspect it is easier to offer different keel sizes/shapes with external ballasting than with internal. I would think you would have to build an entire separate mold to do it with internal ballasting.

mmackof

Member II
pls check this post

Vikings,Ever wonder why the waterlines forward in the 38 are hollow?Or why only 70 or so 31's were ever built?I'm doing research on the history of Ericson and will be interviewing myfather about his 30 year relationship with that company. If you haveEricson specific design questions, post them here, and I will do mybest to get the answers. Martin
Martin, if you could answer this.Much appreciated. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?10222-E-39-Soft-Iron-cabin-sole-braces

mmackof

Member II
Who made the galley and head ss sinks in the 1971 e 39?

Vikings,

Ever wonder why the waterlines forward in the 38 are hollow?
Or why only 70 or so 31's were ever built?
I'm doing research on the history of Ericson and will be interviewing my
father about his 30 year relationship with that company. If you have
Ericson specific design questions, post them here, and I will do my
best to get the answers.

Martin
Hello Martin
I cannot find any markings to identify the manufacturer of these sinks.
The strange hold downs have corroded and died. No kitchen and bath store is familiar with the rectangular loops that come off the sink body. No one has ever seen the round cup like end of the screw push-down either.

Ideas or replacement alternatives?

Thanks,

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I have no idea who made them. It's been what, 40 some odd years? I'd go with maybe a new stainless
Skandvik sink. Greg Ross just put in some very cool hand hammered copper jobs on his 31 that I like a lot.

mmackof

Member II
Thank you Martin

I have no idea who made them. It's been what, 40 some odd years? I'd go with maybe a new stainless
Skandvik sink. Greg Ross just put in some very cool hand hammered copper jobs on his 31 that I like a lot.

Martin,

I appreciate as always your responding to my question.
Hope springs eternal but I guess I'll have to replace the sink. Skandvik looks very good.

Thanks for being a sustaining resource.

AleksT

Member III
E 27 Stanchions

Why are they angled inward?
At the beginning of this year acquired an Ericson 27. Everything on the boat (to my mind) is very well laid out and thought out.
I personally like to sit on the cockpit coaming when sailing, especially when going up wind and single handing to get some weight on the high side. With the inward angle of the stanchions I can't even sit up straight when sitting on the coaming and the boat has any heel. Also it makes the side deck more awkward when moving to the bow of the boat.

I currently have the lifelines run around the outside of the lowers to make some more space on the side deck. (Yes I don't like it since the lifelines are rubbing on the lowers)
I realize a soultion is to get stanchions made that go straight up and down install them where the current ones are at the front of the cockpit and move the current angled ones somewhere next to the shrouds to hold the lifelines off of the shrouds.

But I am very curious why the decision was made to make them angled. It would seem to be more expensive to make them and it makes the lifelines sit in a position where they are in the way.

Glyn Judson

Stanchions angled inward?

Dear friend, I wonder if it wouldn't be a matter of simply switching the port stanchions for the starboard ones. That said, I'm not aware of any Ericson ever having them angled inward. Could they have been either intentionally or accidentally bent inward? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Regarding the earlier sink question, my 30+ sink was made by a company called "Polar" in Sheboygen, WI, which was bought by Kohler, who no longer makes the sinks. Mine had four studs (called "elevator bolts" I learned) spot welded to the underside of the four corners of the sink; two of them had rusted off. If the sink is in good shape other than the studs, those can be replaced by cutting/grinding them off and tack welding a 3/16" or 1/4" hex head bolt in their place. Be careful when tacking the bolts in place. Because the metal of sink is so thin the weld might mar the surface on the other side, which is why tacking would be better than trying to weld completely around the head of the bolt. I did this with my sink and it worked pretty well.

AleksT

Member III
Dear friend, I wonder if it wouldn't be a matter of simply switching the port stanchions for the starboard ones. That said, I'm not aware of any Ericson ever having them angled inward. Could they have been either intentionally or accidentally bent inward? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

They are are not bent, they are built with an angle. The base is trapezoidal so if I swap sides I have to turn them around as well to make they holes line up.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wonder if this is related to the 6 degree (approx) stanchion angle on a host of sailboats from a legion of builders? Since many boats have a sloped (crown) deck, having the stanchion mounted at a slight angle was the way to have them stand vertically.

Most customers liked being able to grab onto the lifelines without leaning outward from the deck, was the reasoning. The person standing on the side deck was already standing at a slight angle due to the slop of the surface, and the mounted stanchion mostly matched that angle.

Loren

AleksT

Member III
The first photo is from my boat (sorry I could not figure out how to rotate them) the second is from my neighbors boat (also a 27). The square is flat on the stanchion plate and I kept the tape as a reference and you can see that mine are slightly more angled than his.

A quick calculation gives an angle of the stanchion base to the stanchion as 6-7 degrees but you add to that the fact that the bases are on a raised part of the deck that is fairly horizontal (it does not match the crown) So this causes the stanchion to angle in the full 6-7 degrees versus just overcoming the angle of the crown.

Photo0196.jpgPhoto0197.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I dragged them to the desktop and rotated them in ColorIt!.
Loren

Attachments

• Stanchion vertical.jpg
    Stanchion vertical.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Stanchion view 2.jpg
    Stanchion view 2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 62

Steuermann

Member II
Martin, Please Thank Your Dad for Me

Hi Martin,

I'm new here. Didn't know it was you, or perhaps more precisely, didn't know who your Dad was, when you replied to my message about the Angelman Ketch. I just figured it out. :)

When I was 15 I met a couple in Newport Beach who had a new E-41. Having only sailed Lido 14s before purchasing it, the boat was an awful lot for the couple to handle, so they took me along and I became their deck ape, the guy to hoist up the mast to run halyards and change lightbulbs, and ultimately their good friend. My friend was an industrial model maker and somehow he came across the hull station lines for his E-41. I expect he talked with your Dad; I don't know. At any rate, he wanted to teach me his craft, so we cut aluminum templates out of tracings from the drawing and laminated up large block of mahogany.

I spent most of that summer carving, sanding, and checking my work against the templates. I worked and worked until the templates fit against the wood with no light showing. Sometime during the next school year, with the hull finished, I thought maybe I'd make a model of the deck to add to the eventual half model. But I didn't have the deck lines. My friend suggested I talk to your Dad. So I dropped by his office on PCH unannounced with the completed 1:16 scale hull under my arm. This was about 1973. Your Dad was standing next to his drawing board looking down at his work and when he saw a scrawny kid open the door from the street, he initially scowled. Then when he saw what I was carrying, he suddenly grinned and said, "I recognize that boat." We chatted a little and I explained what I wanted to do. Without saying a word, your Dad opened a drawer and grabbed a drawing. He made a blueline copy for me then and there and sent me on my way with a request that I return and show him the completed model when I was finished.

I ended up creating a fiberglass mold from the hull model, then sliced it down the centerline on the bandsaw and used the best half as a female mold to make the half model. I didn't know that half models are traditionally of the starboard side. In my case, the port side came out better so that's what I used. And I know the rudder's not quite right; I made it from memory after seeing the boat once on the hard at Lido Shipyard.

I painted and mounted the resulting half model, had a brass plaque made and presented it to my friend as a thank-you for the many kindness he and his wife had shown me. It hung in his office for many years until he retired. The model now hangs in my son's room and is one of his most prized possessions.

When I visited your Dad, I had no concept of intellectual property, or what it meant to actually have the hull stations and deck lines of a rather high-end boat that was (I think) still in production at that time. The kindness that your Dad showed me didn't dawn on me until years later, and I will always be grateful.

Don't know whether your Dad remembers that; I don't expect he does. But please thank him for me and show him this picture:

Attachments

• Ericson 41.jpg
    Ericson 41.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:

Ronald Tipton

Windless on EY38

Vikings,

Ever wonder why the waterlines forward in the 38 are hollow?
Or why only 70 or so 31's were ever built?
I'm doing research on the history of Ericson and will be interviewing my
father about his 30 year relationship with that company. If you have
Ericson specific design questions, post them here, and I will do my
best to get the answers.

Martin

I want to mount an electric windless on my EY38. The design of the foredeck makes this difficult and the tray for the aanchor rode is too shallow to be of much good. I know this can be done as I saw a nice installation on one in Mexico, but could not board the boat to see the details. If you know of anyone who has had this done please let me know. If you know anyone who can give me advice on this modification I would appreciate ay advice. Thanks, Ronald Tipton

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I want to mount an electric windless on my EY38. The design of the foredeck makes this difficult and the tray for the aanchor rode is too shallow to be of much good. I know this can be done as I saw a nice installation on one in Mexico, but could not board the boat to see the details. If you know of anyone who has had this done please let me know. If you know anyone who can give me advice on this modification I would appreciate ay advice. Thanks, Ronald Tipton

I put this phrase into the Google search box:
" ericsonyachts.org E-38 windlass site:www.ericsonyachts.org "
(use copy-paste for this)

Several threads are listed.

For more information for your project, you should start a new thread in the Maint. forum or tag your inquiry onto a prior one. That way more owners will see it.

Loren

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner

I just searched this site for your question and I found this post from 2012. Might be of some help.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?11186-E38-Windlass-Installation

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
E38 Rudder Mold modification?

Hi Martin,

I have E38 hull #20. Do you recall if the 38 rudder mold initially was the wrong shape (planform) at the top which meant the rudder did not line up with the stub fin aft of the rudder tube? Foss Foam seems to think so, after I reported the condition shown in the picture attached. Foss said that Ericson took back the mold and corrected it, which eliminated the need to correct the fairing (or the rudder?) on each boat during production.

Thanks in advance ...
Craig

New_rudder-fit05.jpg

Doug177

Member III
The First Ericson Design Question

Martin, thanks for working to flesh out the Ericson history!

Who came up with the Ericson name and logo and did they consider any other names and logo's.

Doug Frye
Soon to be Ericson 35-3 Owner