• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help rigging a spinnaker

orangedog

I purchased an E29 this summer with partial spinnaker rigging and want to determine what additional hardware I'll need.

I have the spinnaker pole, the mast has a spinnaker ring on the front, there is one 2.5" block mounted on the lower starboard side of the pulpit and 1 car on the starboard track where I could mount another block. One of the halyard winches has been relocated to the top of the cabin by the cockpit, the other remains on the mast.

I'm assuming I can run another halyard and topping lift but will know in a couple of weeks when I pull the mast.

Anyone with an E29 have an idea what else I'll need?

thanks
dave

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are good rigging guides from Harken and others, and most are on line these days.
I would first diagram out what you want to do. Then I would pencil in whatever parts and pieces are already on your new boat. Next start engineering the where and how of attaching any parts not there already.

Note that whatever was put there decades ago (perhaps before some on this site were born....)
was: 1) only applicable to racing with a full crew at the time,
and 2) was not optimal even when it was new. :rolleyes:

Doing it really well, now, may mean epoxying in some old holes in the deck and then adding new hardware with backing plates. OTOH, you probably need to re-bed and back up all the stanchions and pulpits anyway due to the passage of time. And everything else bolted thru that deck.

Do you have some photos of the present deck?

Best,
Loren