new boat no autopilot

oceanview

Member I
just bought a E35 w/no autopilot. only have experience with tiller pilots and the wheel mounted kind(autohelm) and not alot. any sugestions? boat will be used for day bay & mild coastal cruising.

ref_123

Member III
Navman G-Pilot

Works great for us - particularly like that auto-adjusting function. It has a built-in gyro, so it adjusts tha rate of turn based on a sea state. Not that expensive, too.

Regards,
Stanly

EGregerson

Member III
raytheon

I don't have the s1 (yet) but appears to have some nice features and $100 rebate; pyacht and sailnet, among others i imagine.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Go for a belowdeck pilot. The wheel mounted units are toys. I've yet to meet someone in a boat larger than 32ft/10K thats happy with a wheelpilot. RT

Maine Sail

Member III
I'm happy...

My boat is 36 ft and almost 18k pounds displacement and my wheel pilot has performed flawlessly for me and the previous owner who put over 5000nm on it doing live aboard cruising for three straight years. The log book shows two belt replacements and two clutch pins. I'd say for a wheel pilot this Raytheon has been fairly bullet proof even on a boat bigger than what the unit says it can handle. I plan on replacing it with the new S1 wheel pilot as I see no reason for a below deck unit. I have owned boats with both above and below decks and my below deck units were more problematic than my Simrad WP30, my ST4000+ MK II and my AutoHelm 4000 wheel pilots... Simrad no longer makes a wheel pilot so your only option, currently, is a Raymarine S1 for about $1100.00 minus a $100.00 rebate. You can't touch a below deck unit for anywhere even close to that price even installing it your self...

JMCronan

Member II
S-1

I have an S-1 wheelpilot system. I am very happy with it. Granted, my boat is only 32ft. The best thing about the system is that system components are easily upgradable. If you wanted to add a linear drive or hyd. drive the same system components can be used. Just switch out the wheel drive.