Prop Recommendations for E38

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I am wondering if you guys can give me some advice on the right prop for an 1989 E38. Currently the boat has a 3 blade fixed prop I am guessing is around a 16 X 10 or 12. I very much want to go to a folding or feathering prop for reduced drag. My thoughts are that I would be best served with a 3 blade verses a 2 blade but I'm not certain. Also I am guessing that a 3 blade fethering prop would be the best bet but the 2500-3k price tag is a bit hard to swallow. Are the folding props worth anything? Would a 2 blade feathering prop of the correct size be a good alternative and push the boat well with the stock Universal 32hp diesal? What would be the correct size for a 2 blade?Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Prop Culture"

I like my Martec two blade featherer, and you can even look at a picture of it on this site. My budget limited me to the two-blade, my boat is 4 feet shorter, and my diesel is only 23 hp; so my experiences maybe of limited help...
:rolleyes:

Just click on the "Search" icon, upper right portion of this page. Start trying different words like feathering prop, Maxprop, Martec, autoprop, and others. You will find much informed commentary and opinion.

This site is well-indexed and the search function is powerful. Welcome aboard!

Loren in PDX
:egrin:

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Max Prop 16" by 9.8"

My 1989 E-38 originally came with a two-blade 16" diameter fixed prop pitched at 13". The PO replaced it with a three bladed Max prop, 16" diameter, which he inexplicably pitched at 13" – so the engine was way overpropped. Over a period of years I gradually reduced the pitch to 9.8”, which allowed the engine to again reach its design rpm.

With the proper pitch the Max prop has worked great, and I would recommend it highly. Forward thrust is great, and reverse is almost scary – so good that we can’t leave the boat in gear while backing out of the slip or it builds up way too much speed.

The prop that interests me, however, is the Autoprop. A friend on a Tartan 40 has one, and there is no dialing in period (as with the Max) and supposedly the pitch is automatically compensated for rpm.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
So it sounds like the feathering 3 blade is the way to go as opposed to 2 blade feathering or any sort of folding prop? What about the Kiwi prop? And finally if I am going to go with a feathering 3 blade prop where can I find one for less than 2k or is that just not realistic? Have not seen any on E-bay but perhaps there are other auction/classified sites...

Thanks guys

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Feathering prop triva

I bought my prop direct from the company, at their "winter boat show discount".....
Here is the URL -- http://www.martec-props.com/
When you call, you may be talking to a knowledgeable lady named Sheila, who has been there a very long time. Nice person to transact business with.
I make no claim that one brand of featherer is better than another, but at nine years my Martec "Autostream" is working fine.

FWIW, there is a guy with a Cascade 42 in our YC that put on an Auto-Prop some years ago, and just swears by it. The price is high, but I have to admit that the engineering is fascinating.

All the best for 2005,
Loren in PDX
:D

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
ted_reshetiloff said:
Do you have a 2 or 3 blade version? Also what model ericson?
Thanks.

I have an '88 Olson 34 with a Universal M25XP. Real world displacement runs about 11k pounds. I have the two blade "Autostream" (bronze) Martec. What with the built-in efficiency limitations of any feathering prop - blades not cupped - I sometimes wonder if the three-blade would have benefited me very much (?). What with the 2-blade costing me over $950, I was tapped out at the time... :rolleyes:

There is a narrow channel at one spot in the lower Columbia River where we pretty much have to motor straight into the afternoon 20 kt headwind and the resulting 3 foot wind chop slows us down over a kt.... when we get nailed by a set of 'em close together. Otherwise we motor all the time at 6 kt cruising, and over 6.5 if in a big hurry and want to crank 'er up to 2900 rpm.

That's if you are asking me.... since my prior post is next door to your question...

Best,
Loren
:oops:

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks a lot. I think I am going to try for the 3 blade if I can find one at a decent price. There is a fixed 3 blade on the boat now and I may have to live with that for the 05' season. I'm in the process of buying the boat now and will have a fair bit of other work to do like fixing the PO's electrical adventures, replacing all the standing rigging, fixing play in the rudder etc... Will have to see whats left in the budget as I am hoping to replace either the main or the RF genny...

escapade

Inactive Member
more prop trivia

I have a 2 blade Mar-Tec folding prop on my 1988 E34 w/M25XP Universal diesel (23 hp., same as Loren's) and a displacement of aprox. 14,000 lbs. It works beautifully both in forward & reverse. I crew on a Catalina 42 (22,000 lbs. displacement w/45 hp. diesel) which has a Flex-O-Fold 2 blade folding prop and it also motor's very nicely under power plus has more than adaquate reverse thrust. I haven't been sorry yet for replacing the fixed prop w/folding props on either of my last 2 boats. Both the Mar-Tec & Flex-O-Fold folks are very helpful in recommending the proper diameter & pitch for your particular set-up. You will need more pitch and/or diameter if you are mostly in fresh water as it's less dense than salt water, so be sure to give them a heads up on the type of water you sail in.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Feathering, not folding.....

escapade said:
I have a 2 blade Mar-Tec folding prop on my 1988 E34 w/M25XP Universal diesel (23 hp., same as Loren's) and a displacement of aprox. 14,000 lbs. It works beautifully both in forward & reverse. I crew on a Catalina 42 (22,000 lbs. displacement w/45 hp. diesel) which has a Flex-O-Fold 2 blade folding prop and it also motor's very nicely under power plus has more than adaquate reverse thrust. I haven't been sorry yet for replacing the fixed prop w/folding props on either of my last 2 boats. Both the Mar-Tec & Flex-O-Fold folks are very helpful in recommending the proper diameter & pitch for your particular set-up. Bud E34 "Escapade"

One point I should mention -- my Martec is a feathering prop and not a folding prop. One surprise to me is your satisfaction with reverse power with a folding prop. Lack of reverse power was the biggest reason that a friend of mine with a folder converted to a featherer. I have been on several boats over the decades with folders and the reverse power was alarmingly weak.
Here is a nice link to a table of the differences (both and bad) between the types of prop technology, from the maker of the feathering prop line that Martec distributes:
http://www.seahawk.com.au/content/fff.htm

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

escapade

Inactive Member
more prop stuff

Loren;
I had heard that same thing. It could be that older design/poorly designed folding props had very poor reverse thrust. I have found that I have as much or more reverse thrust with the new gereration MarTec's than the original fixed 2 blades. Bear in mind that the pitch was increased by 3 inches on the E34 and pitch & diameter both were increased on my old 30+. This will account for some of the difference. I cruise @ 6.7 to 7.0 kn @ 2200 RPM with the prop I presently have on my E34. I do notice that the speed drops when punching into big waves (we get square waves here on Saginaw Bay), but I've found that if I have a long distance to travel I can bear off a little, hoist some sail and she does just fine. Pounding into big waves is not fun no matter what your prop configuration! After 10+ years cruising/racing with folding props I can't justify the cost of the feathering props. I'm sure there are people who will have a different opinion, but I've not found a situation yet where I have been unhappy with folders. Just my $.02 worth.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"