• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stuffing Box & Packing Material Choices

vanilladuck

E32-3 / San Francisco
Blogs Author
Yah, 1/8" is what I bought - although, I haven't replaced the flax/stuffing yet. I'm waiting to see if my adjustments hold back the drips (and let enough through when underway)

Second Star

Member III
That locking nut is a nasty piece of work. If you do get it free it is miserable to get it to lock the packing nut again! The space is small and awkward and with the cleaning of threads and application of various lubricants it is generally rendered "easily" movable. It doesn't help, as you say, that the shaft in forward unscrews the nut assembly. I had so many issues of the locking nut coming free that once a seal had been created (another miserable job) I fitted a hose clamp around the packing nut such that the "tail" of the clamp pressed on the boat bottom resisting the tendency of the nut to turn with the shaft turning. Out of the context of your boat, the job is easy .. as per Mainsail's site!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
That locking nut is a nasty piece of work. If you do get it free it is miserable to get it to lock the packing nut again! The space is small and awkward and with the cleaning of threads and application of various lubricants it is generally rendered "easily" movable. It doesn't help, as you say, that the shaft in forward unscrews the nut assembly. I had so many issues of the locking nut coming free that once a seal had been created (another miserable job) I fitted a hose clamp around the packing nut such that the "tail" of the clamp pressed on the boat bottom resisting the tendency of the nut to turn with the shaft turning. Out of the context of your boat, the job is easy .. as per Mainsail's site!
I've had 4 different stuffing boxes on different boats and have never run into this problem. I makes me wonder if you are having something unusual going on with yours, though I'm not sure just what that would be. Maybe others can weigh into help gauge how common this might be.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author

This is interesting. After another haphazard, unsuccessful go at freeing the locking nut yesterday, I decided I may just leave it alone in the nut's current 'fixed' location. I can still slide the adjusting nut off to get the packing gland out.

Thanks for your feedback.

vanilladuck

E32-3 / San Francisco
Blogs Author
It literally took me 5-6 separate days of wrenching 'medium gently' to loosen the locking nut . Tom, it sounds like you're in the same mental state of mind I was in half way through. Just keep working at it little by little. Enough Kroil/PB Blaster, wrenching and it will eventually come loose. Did you happen to try backing the packing nut off a few threads and squirting some freeing oil into the normally hidden side of the locking nut?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
My problem is still very frustrating...can't contort myself enough to get down in the bowels to get a good grasp on either with a wrench. As mentioned before, I need my beefy son available to pull me out butt first via belt or I am in deep doo doo trying to wedge myself out.......need someone small with arms like an orangutan to get down there....still looking for that person to bribe!

I have used Duramax Ultra-X Marine Compression Packing sold by Hamilton Marine for the past 2 season with no issues. The Duramax web site explains things further and the product seems to be engineered for use on large commercial boats in continuous use.

Zero temperature rise on the stuffing box while in use per my heat gun. No drips.

My stuffing box had previously leaked badly with flax. Duramax does have some graphite In it but no issues so far.

Be very careful not to get PB Blaster on the transmission seals.

Bella Luna 1986 E32