• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The Sail Warehouse

Quiet Magic

Member II
Im in the market for new sails (especially the main) and a furler. I recently took a look at a Sail warehouse catalog and noticed they have really awsome prices for E 27 sails and Harken MK IV unit 0 furlers. What I'm wondering is, does the sail warehouse provide quality sails or do these dazzling prices reflect something else?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do a search on Sail Warehouse. Lots of commentary on this site.

Loren

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
My understanding is that they sell used sails and equipment. Although I have no personal experience with them, responses on some other websites have reflected satisfaction with their products. If it were me, and given the quality of Ericsons, I would probably go for quality new sails, unless I were planning to sell the boat soon--even then, good new sails will likely lead to a faster sale.
Frank.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
They sell new and used sails. I'm sure all the hardware parts (furlers) are new. The package deals are for new sails. I got a main (Rolly Tasker) for my E23 from them and it's fine. That said my jib is a Dave Hodges (Santa Cruz Sails) sail and it is nicer.

BrianP

Member II
I have been pricing sails too for my e-27 and so far sail warehouse has beat everyone to include lee. I have been told the quality is good and the owner backs his product as far as I know they have all new sails and if someone had a return the sail is marked down.

rgoff

Member III
I bought a new main for my E27 a couple of years ago from Sail Warehouse. Quality looks good to me (although I'm no expert in that regard). It does seem to have a slight "fit" problem at the intersection of the mast and boom. Puckers out a bit. However, I'm satisfied with my purchase.

I bought one "off the shelf", which gave me instant delivery. I did have to put my own insignia and numbers on, though. Got the material at SailRite.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
If you want the sail to fit properly, you need to get a sailmaker to measure the rig. Use a local sailmaker who will get you a quality product that he will stand behind.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
What he said

TReilly is right of course. "Mail order" sails CAN be adequate in build quality-it is a hit or miss proposition. But when it comes to shape and true proper fit for the boat, these sails generally don't cut it:rolleyes: (in comparison to the "real thing").

Small measurement details like tack cut up or set back, outhaul ring set up, location of the first mast slide/slug from the tack-use of a jackline or not-these can be guestimated and you usually end up with a sail that is functional
(USUALLY), but you may have annoying wrinkles out of the corners or similar complaints-you will get what you pay for.

But as a side note, while not one of the big boys, Dave Hodges (aka "Hodgepodge") is a top quality sailmaker, and Rolly Tasker, while a mass producer, has a good rep for quality-but unless they really have dimensions for YOUR boat-not just generic or average numbers-the fit will be hit or miss.

I know this is sounding like a broken record, but I'm trying here to give some specific reasons why these "bargains" may not be so hot.. For another 10-20%, I will take a proper fitting sail and the increased resale value of a name brand sail for my high quality sailboat..Now, if we were a bunch of McGregor sailors......:p

S

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hey Seth...

There's currently a 10 yr old Mac 26x for sale... "never sailed- sails and hardware still in original packaging". Maybe you have interest? I was turned off when it only had a 25hp outboard...
:offtopic:
sorry... I got diet coke in my nose laughing at that one... had to share.

bigtyme805

Member III
I bought a new main and 150 from them and I am very satisfied. This is my second season using them and I have no problems to report. I sail a lot 2-3x per week.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Used to be one of these Big Macs racing on the chesapeake years ago. Boat was a trainwreck. Not a lot of boat for 65' and from what I saw they don't do to weather like you would think....

islandplanet

Hi all,

You may want to check us out as well if you're shopping for sails. We offer competetive internet pricing but we help you through the measuring process so you get a sail that fits properly. Island Planet Sails is a hybrid of sorts, spanning the gap between between traditional neighborhood sailmaker and an internet supplier.

www.IslandPlanetSails.com

dwigle

Member III
Sail warehouse

I bought one of their jibs for my old boat which worked very well, and have one of their mains on my 38 which works pretty well. The service was good, and the product is acceptable for the price. Both sails were made by Rolly Tasker (sp?)

The last sail I bought was a jib from Lee sails. A rep measured, I got what I wanted in a reasonable time, and the price was very good, Quality about the same as Sail Warehouse. If you're shopping price, I would definitely see if there is a Lee sales rep in your area.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E 38 #8

islandplanet

When there's one sailmaker with a lower price than everyone else I would recommend some caution and I would ask for some (preferably written) assurances that the cloth is first quality, not seconds which are commonly used to offer sails at a low price. I would compare cloth specs, finish details, and hardware closely. I've seen low budget full batten mains on a decent sized cruising boat built with Hobie Cat type batten end fittings. Bainbridge and other manufacturers have their catalogs online. For hardware your sailmaker can give you a part number and you can check it out in the catalog and see what you are getting before you buy. The catalogs describe the intended use pretty well. For instance we use Sailman fittings on some of our mains and if I gave you the part number you would be able to see that it's recommended for your application.