time for a new toilet in the head - anyone replaced theirs recently?

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
celtic sea
Our recently purchased E27 1973 just has a portable head and the thru hull fittings are there just closed off, my question is I guess in 1973 when the boat was new it came with a head that just discharged overboard? and was never upgraded? Or was an holding tank an option back then? From this forum it appears I can easily install a 15 gal. Tank under the front v birth and repipe.

Yes, It was legal to discharge directly overboard until 1974. Prior to that a black water system was optional. It is now on the list of things that will get you a HUGE TICKET if you are boarded by the CG. It is illegal even for it to be possible to do it accidently, so the controls to overboard discharge must be locked or the handles removed.​

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary

Mark, nice install. Have you considered reviewing the installation of the white hose between the pump and the bowl? If the head is below the waterline, ALL manufacturers recommend an anti-siphon loop in that line.

Here are some other ideas:

Head Odors 101 http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5755.0.html

Head Odors 101.1 - "T" into sink drain: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5755.msg38216.html#msg38216

Installation of PHII Head http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3797.0.html

sailing42

Member II
Holding tank vent and pumpout plumbing routing

Hi Andrew,

I did install the Jabsco in the head on my boat. It was pretty straight forward - bought the toilet for about $100, some good sanitation ($) hose, a 15 gal. holding tank and a deck pumpout fitting. I also had to replace the through hull valves as the overboard GATE valve was frozen OPEN! There was no deck pumpout or holding tank so I added them. The hardest part was hooking up the hoses to the holding tank under the vee-berth. While I was at it I added a sink in the head and plumbed that to the raw water intake for the head. This is a very nice setup because you can flush with fresh water (from the sink) which helps with crud build up and stink. I guess you don't have those problems, you're on a lake right? Here is a photo, View attachment 11904
Mark, I'm in the process of installing a holding tank in my boat and were wondering how/where you routed the vent and deck pumpout hoses. Thanks, John.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi John,

I'll try to attach some photos that show where on the deck I put the deck pumpout and where I ran the vent line. If these do not show enough I will take some new photos. A good excuse to use my new GoPro :). The deck pumpout is on the starboard side aft of the front stanchion and fully within the non skid. The vent runs through the vee birth/head bulkhead below the head countertop, through the countertop, into the space at the shearline and out through the shear stripe. It is vinyl hose with blue tape around it - the blue tape was an after necessity (think full holding tank).dscn3698.jpgDSCN3760.jpgDSCN3742.jpg

celtic sea

Member III
Hi mark,I also have an E27 1973 and will shortly be doing the exact same install as you, I noticed if I'm correct from your pictures (which I saved them all and please feel free to add a couple more closeups of your valve connections) the discharge tubing from the head through the y valve and out, with what appears to be a hand pump head is it any problem with flow the way the tubing runs?ThanksJohnCeltic SeaE27 1973