• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gas Sending Unit for 1986 38-200

FrankZ

Member I
Hello folks, I'm a new member and new Ericson boat owner (in fact, this is my first sailboat!). I'm looking forward to the whole experience. Thanks in advance for welcoming into your world.

As you might suspect, there are some items to deal with on my 1986 38-200, though the boat (renamed Aqua Sunlight) is in very good condition.

First, any advice on where I might locate a new gas gauge sender for my diesel tank. The current sender has been disconnected at the tank, the gasket around it is leaking and I the sender is faulty.

Second, any sources for interior components, e.g., sink cutting board, shower hose, wall mount...that kind of thing?

Finally, are most of you folks using a simple propane solenoid shut-off valve, or employing a complete LPG sniffer system that incorporates alarms, shut-off valve, etc.?

Any info is much appreciated.

fz

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Congrats!

Congrats on your new boat, Frank. We've had our '88 38-200 for 5 years and love it. I can't help with the fuel system stuff, we have been lucky not to have any problems in that area (now if you want to talk water pumps on that Universal, that's another story)
I think most of us find that interior components require a little creativity. Hand shower hose from Home Depot will work OK as will all the hand showers (just make sure they have a restrictor in them). The delta shower faucet in ours should be replaced but it looks like a major operation that I don't have time for this year, so I just did a rebuild kit and called it good for now.
We still have the CNG system on ours and just shut off the valve when not in use for short periods (days) and disconnect the bottle when not in use for longer periods. I wouldn't trust just the solenoid for more than overnights.
There are lots of great folks here that have spectacular advice and ideas.
Chris

u079721

Contributing Partner
Try an RV equipment store

Frank, the E-38 is your first sailboat? Wow. That could prove to be quite a steep learning curve!

Just a suggestion for the interior components. You won't be able to match anything that is 20 years old of course. But a great - and inexpensive -source of interior and galley components is any RV equipment store. Most of the gear is about the same as boating equipment, and your only concern is that you might find mild steel in place of stainless on some fittings.

And as for the leaking around the fuel gauge gasket, any auto parts store should be able to provide fuel proof gasket material, or fuel proof sealant (silicone won't work). I kept some on board just in case.

Best of luck with all your projets.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I cannot help you with the fuel sender, but I have done a "full Monty" propane system installation, on my prior boat.
I advise putting in the sniffer/alarm/remote shutoff setup. Two reasons: 1) for your own peace of mind [I have seen one sailboat torn apart by a propane explosion :eek: ],
and 2) the boat will probably be uninsurable without it.
I note that you did say "propane" and not "CNG."

Like running the blower for several minutes before starting a gasoline engine, a working propane sniffer/alarm is a very important safety precaution.

The E-38-200 is a very classy boat, with a reputation for speed and offshore capabilities. You might want to take some sailing lessons in a smaller boat to speed your learning curve...

Best,
Loren in PDX
:egrin:

hodo

Member III
Fuel tank sender

Congrats on your choice of boat. There are several things you need to know to replace you fuel level sender. One is the ohm rating of the guage, the other is the depth of the tank. I replaced mine with a stewart/warner unit from NAPA. Also make sure you ground it at the engine or a ground buss if you have one near. If you have an assistant, once you set it for the tank depth, swing it full travel and make sure thatfull is full and empty is just off the bottom, and 1/2 is where it should be. Most automotive gasket silicnes are fuel proof, but read the label. good luck :devil: Hodo